Thursday, August 25, 2011

Confessions of an Android Convert...

Up until a month ago, I was a Blackberry snob and couldn't imagine using any other smartphone.  When asked my opinion on smartphones, my only recommendation was Blackberry.  In late July, my Blackberry Tour started failing and I needed to buy a new phone.  My carrier, Sprint, had a bevy of smartphones available, bbbbuuuuut there was no similar replacement which was equivalent to my Tour.  They had other Blackberry devices available but they were lower versions of the one I had.  I decided to take a chance on getting an Android device and I am not disappointed at all.  As a matter of fact, Android-based devices are my new favorites and I highly recommend them!

I purchased the HTC EVO 4G which has all the capabilities (and more) that I need in a smartphone and is hands down the best phone I have ever owned.  The Internet browser is incredibly fast - easily ten times faster than my Blackberry.  There are a ton of useful apps for download, and some not so useful but completely fun - like Angry Birds and a Kindle reader.  The camera has incredibly high resolution and takes amazing photos.  The video records in HD!!!  I haven't added any music to the device so I have no idea on the quality of playing mp3s.  I still use my iTouch for music. 

Friends encouraged me to purchase an iPhone, but there are several reasons I never considered buying an iPhone - mostly I dislike AT&T and Verizon as carriers and I don't like not having a QWERTY keyboard.  I find typing on a touchscreen annoying, which is why I love the EVO!  It has a slide out QWERTY keyboard and touchscreen capabilities, which for me is the best of both worlds.  Plus, the display screen is more than twice the size of the Blackberry! I only have two complaints about the EVO.  One is the weight of the phone.  It's a bit heavier by comparison to other phones - 6 oz vs. 4.58 oz (Tour).   The second is the battery life*.  I easily need to charge the phone twice a day which is irritating to say the least.  Consequently, I need to purchase an extended battery which will hopefully fix that issue. 

Oh, and it also is great for making phone calls!  If you are in the market for a new phone, you cannot go wrong with an Android-based phone.  The EVO is a bit pricey (my cost: $350 with my Sprint discount), but I think it's worth every penny!!! 

*[Note:  I've adjusted some of my settings and the battery power drain has greatly improved.  The Android will often run things in the background which aren't necessary.  So now I really have zero complaints about this phone.  (Added 8/28/11)]

No comments: