Friday, June 21, 2013

My Next Life...

This would be my luck!
For the past couple of days, I have been pondering what form I would like my next life to be. You see, I don't believe in heaven or hell or any Supreme Being/God, but I do believe in reincarnation. I wrote about my past lives last August, but now I'm more interested in creating a "future life" wish list. You see, my current life has been ... erm ... well ... let's just say less than spectacular. I'm not complaining or anything - just stating a simple fact. As I mentioned before, I'm certainly being punished for some horrendous deed from a previous incarnation. Therefore, I have all but decided that coming back as a human is pretty far down my list. Here's my wish list - in order - of what my next manifestation should be:
  1. A zoo polar bear:  When I lived in NYC, I used to go to the Central Park Zoo a lot. It was one of my favorite places to visit where I'd hang out, watch the polar bears (Gus and Ida - sadly Ida was euthanized in 2011 due to liver cancer) and I would think "now, there's the life."  What's so appealing? You get to swim in your own swimming pool with tons of toys to play with. Sleep whenever you like. Someone brings you food on a regular basis so you don't have to forage for your own. People love you and take lots of photos of you. C'mon. Is there anything better? And no, I do not want to live in the wild and fend for myself. Plus the arctic is way too effing cold!
  2. A domestic cat or dog: Observing my own cat, Lotta, makes me want to be either a domestic cat or dog. Seriously, this is a good life to lead - particularly for cats. Cats sleep 13-14 hours a day, get fed regularly, have lots of toys to play with (at least in my house), an owner who adores them, and the run of the household. Dogs have a very similar life. I'm leaning toward a cat over a dog simply because with my luck I'd end up with an owner who breeds dogs for fighting.
  3. A dolphin: Being a swimmer at heart, I can imagine spending all day in the ocean swimming and diving through the water. What a nice life. Although being caught in a fishing net would suck. I suppose I could be a performing dolphin at SeaWold, but I think that wouldn't be nearly as much fun as a dolphin in the wild. Much too limiting of a swimming area.
  4. A koala: Koalas are seriously cute mammals. Their lives seems to be so mellow; there's very little stress for the koala. They have plenty of food, few predators, and 22 hours of sleep a day - sounds like a decent life. Plus I would get a chance to live in Australia.
  5. A butterfly: I know butterflies don't live very long (in their adult stage from a week to nearly a year depending on the species), but I like the idea of being some sort of flying animal and I think butterflies are so pretty. Plus I recently learned through a friend that butterflies taste with their feet so that would be interesting to experience. Maybe if I'm just unique enough a lepidopterist will take an interest and study me.
I actually have a few other species that I could add to the list but these are my top 5. I suppose if for some reason I couldn't be one of the above (or any of the others on my list), but am required by some law of nature to come back as a human, then I would want to come back as a woman and hopefully improve on the mistakes that I made in this life.

What are you thoughts on this subject? Do you believe in reincarnation? What would you like your next life to be?

12 comments:

Lee said...

My dear friend.... First of all... I honestly do not believe you are being punished for anything.... It saddens me that you think that is the case. Although we disagree on the belief or non-belief of a higher power, I think it would be kind of cool to imagine coming back as a koala or a domestic animal.... shall we say fur baby! Stay positive!! Love you!!!

Sandi said...

Try not to take too much of what I write to heart. Much of it is a funny (to me) brain dump. Love you!

Kim said...

I haven't thought about this in terms of reincarnation before, but being a daydreamer extraordinaire, I have certainly spent entirely too much time pondering important questions like "What kind of animal would you be if you could pick?". Flight is something I feel I got cheated out of in this life. Perhaps I was a bird in a previous life because sometimes it feels downright frustrating that I can't just take off into the air and go where I need to go. I often dream at night of flying over familiar and/or unfamiliar places with ease. So, a bird of course, for me - but more specifically I think a Macaw. They live a long time in a paradisaical region. They are loud and colorful and very social, kinda like me. They even mate for life. Hawks are intriguing too, but I would rather eat nuts and berries than small rodents and bugs. :-)

Sandi said...

Love it!! I can see you as a macaw.

Kim said...

And I think you would make a lovely Polar bear as well. The bears are always my favorite at the zoo too!

Sandi said...

It would be a very nice life. ;-)

Jacqueline said...

I'd have to go with being an otter in a zoo! Failing that, I'm still going to open an otter & stray cat sanctuary if I ever do win the lottery. :-)

Unknown said...

My aunt always used to say she wanted to come back as my dog (Sampson at the time).... but it seems Pippa has it pretty good too!!! I love you my friend!!!!!!

Sandi said...

Well, I certainly agree that Sampson had a great life - except when you lived in that tiny apartment on the UWS. That apartment was miniscule for such a big dog. :-) Yeah, Pippa's got a great life too. See domestic dogs and cats. Must be nice! Love you too!

Judy said...

Don't know if I believe in reincarnation. However, there are times I wonder since I have an irresistible draw to the sea. Wonder if I was a sailor in a previous life. Could be I am drawn since my dad died in the ocean during WW II. I am a firm believer in God myself. I need to believe there is more than this life of struggle. Respect your right to your own beliefs. However, I ask that you keep an open mind and read "Proof of Heaven" by Eban Alexander, M.D. Glad you came through the surgery and are recovering. Good Luck with the next pending battle. I have a sense you wil respond well to treatment and recover. XO Judy

Sandi said...

Judy, no disrespect intended but if you respected my right to not believe than you wouldn't be giving me reading suggestions that are in direct contrast to my non-beliefs. They say it's best not to argue religion or politics, so suffice to say I came to my decision nearly 30 years ago. Nothing will change my mind. xo

Judy said...

Understand. Apologize. Did not mean to offend. Judy