Thursday, June 20, 2013

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 21 (It's the Way You Make Me Feel)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

It has been ages since I wrote a music blog - May 3rd being the last one. Today, I was feeling in a bit of a funk so I thought I'd listen to something that would make me smile and want to dance. Looking through my iTunes, I came across The Best of Steps album and I thought "Ah-ha! That's perfect." In case you've never heard of this group, Steps are a 5-singer British pop group which formed in 1997 and to date have released "four studio albums, three compilation albums and seventeen singles" (Wikipedia). They have a really strong 1990s pop/dance pop sound and I find their music really fun, albeit a little bubblegum - although bubblegum music is exactly what a person needs on occasion. Yes, they're a bit gimmicky with their choreographed dance steps (hence the name of the group), but... <shrugs>

Today, as I was listening to their "Best of" album, I started wondering whatever became of this group and after a little research (aka Wikipedia), I discovered that they had disbanded in 2001 - rather contentiously apparently. Who knew? Although they did reform in 2011 for a reunion documentary and some limited touring throughout 2012.  

I had a hard time picking my favorite song from their "Best of" album. Their cover of the Bee Gees' "Tragedy" is always a good choice. But I also love "Love's Got a Hold of my Heart". Can you go wrong with "Say You'll Be Mine"? I think not! How about "Deeper Shade of Blue"? Love it!! Actually I find this whole album to be great. If you like uncomplicated, fun pop music - this album is a must! Like ABBA before them, Steps have the ability to produce catchy tracks guaranteed to get any party going. Complete guilty pleasure.  That being said - despite the fun, pop, bubblegum beat, each of the songs listed here have lyrics which have strong meaning for me. Just goes to show you, you can find meaning in the darndest places.

With having such a tough time picking one, I finally decided to feature the song that is closest to my heart and my life - "It's the Way You Make Me Feel". It's probably my favorite of all of Steps hits. Lyrics can be found here.

Here's a little bonus video that I just discovered today while trolling around YouTube: the ladies from Steps in a live performance of one of my favorite songs from the musical, Chess - "I Know Him So Well."  It's stunning!

No comments: