Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Number Three - Lucky or Unlucky? Time Will Tell...

I got to thinking today about the number three and how often it comes up in our daily lives. It's found in religion, sports, science, philosophy, and on and on. Not surprising, there's even a Wikipedia page on the number three. (Is there anything that Wikipedia hasn't documented?) Some people believe the number three is lucky and others feel it's unlucky. For instance, three "is considered a good number in Chinese culture because it sounds like the word 'alive'" (Wikipedia). But they say bad luck comes in threes, which is what got me thinking about this accursed number. In the past 5+ years, I've gone though three major medical issues – two physical and one psychological – all with potentially fatal outcomes. Bad luck!

In 2007, I had one of my few good luck moments with my first medical diagnosis of breast cancer. It was ended up being in early stages and completely treatable. My second medical issue was a three year long psychological ordeal which could have potentially led to a fatality but through some third-party intervention, I survived. Now it's my third time riding the medical merry-go-round and this time the diagnosis and prognosis are far more serious than the first two and it made me think of the two old adages: "Third time's the charm" or "Three strikes and you're outta the game." The number three once again rears its ugly head. I suppose only time will tell which of these aforementioned statements ends up being true.

What's your take? Do you think the number three is lucky or unlucky? I'm indecisive on this one. I'd like to think three will be lucky, but somewhere deep inside, I'm having my doubts.

1 comment:

Lee said...

3 has always been a lucky number for me..... remember- if you believe it is lucky... it is!! <3