Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Oncology Consult...

Today, I met with my oncologist. It was a stereotypical doctor's visit. Scheduled for 11:00am, I arrived at 10:45 but didn't see the doctor until well after noon. Sound familiar? Sound like every doctor appointment you have experienced? But that being said, I really like this doctor. She was completely open and above board about everything and was willing to answer any question I had. There's a slight downside to my doctor - she'll be out on maternity leave for 3 months starting in August - right in the middle of my treatment.

Here's the lowdown on today's consult:

There were two different tumor board reviews of my case. One at Beth Israel Deaconness and one at the local hospital here in Newburyport (Anna Jaques). I am a popular patient! Both boards agreed that they weren't actually certain that the lung nodules were a result of the endometrial cancer, but perhaps they stemmed from the breast cancer from 5 years ago. Although how it would have gotten to my lungs, when the lymph nodes were clear, is confusing. To be certain as to which cancer caused the lung tumors, the doctors want me to have a lung biopsy. There is also a possibility that they are fibrous tumors. Wherever they came from, it doesn't change my course of treatment, but it is something that they need to know.

There are a total of 5 visible nodules. Three in the right lung; the largest being 1.2 centimeters and two in the left lung; the largest being 0.9 centimeters. Once the biopsy happens - sometime in the next week and the results get back to the oncologist (a week after that), she'll have a better understanding of which cancer is the culprit. After that, I will start chemotherapy - I am assuming it'll be in 3 weeks.

My chemo treatment will consist of 6-8 sessions and will utilize two different drugs (Carboplatin and Paclitaxel). It will be very similar to my breast cancer treatment in that I will get infused once every three weeks. Halfway through the treatment, I will have a rescan of my lungs to see if there have been any changes to the tumors. If they have shrunk, I will finish the course. If nothing has happened or they've gotten larger, then they'll find a different treatment (perhaps a clinical trial). Of course, being the realist that I am, I asked her about the worse case scenario: "What if nothing works?" The answer: my life expectancy would be 6-10 months.

Now neither she nor I will think that will happen, but it was something that I needed to know. That about sums up the cancer news of the day. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

Christy said...

Thinking of you...xoxo ... and sending healing, positive vibes!!!!!!

Sandi said...

Love you so!

Marianne said...

Hang in there kiddo. You will surprise all those doctors with your strength and tenacity. Kick ass!

Vivian said...

Positive and blessed thoughts!

Lee said...

Things to remember.... everyone is different....Sandi Smith is one tough cookie! That being said.... pull up your big girl pants and get ready to kick @$$!!! Love you and I am praying for you.... Stay strong and don't forget that a positive attitude is key!! <3 oxox

Sandi said...

You guys are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo

Agatha said...

Be Strong, Be Positive, Believe all will be well. xxoo

Becky said...

Thinking about you EVERY day!! Kick the SH-T out of that cancer- bleck!!!!

Kathy said...

Oh my dear girl. How do you manage to stay so vibrantly positive? I have no doubt that you’ll turn all of this, um, material into a best-selling memoir (or novel!) after it’s all over. Keep this blog up to date; it’ll make the first draft so much easier! ;)

Sandi said...

Oh Kathy, that is funny! Believe me, I do have my dark moments, but mostly I'm keeping it positive. But no one except my friends and family would be remotely interested in this story. :-)