Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Next Three Month Checkup... (A Cancer Update)

Has it really been three months already?  If you remember, I provided a cancer update on March 4, 2014. It's time for another.

Today, I met with my oncologist to discuss my most recent test results. This time I did not have an MRI or a CT scan, but instead had a CA 125 test.  What is CA 125 you ask?  Good question.

The CA 125 (Cancer antigen 125) is a protein which is a so-called tumor marker. Apparently this protein occurs in greater numbers when there is a tumor present. The most common use of the test is the monitoring of people with a known cancer that elevates CA 125 level, which includes ovarian, endometrial, peritoneal and fallopian tube cancers. In someone who is known to have a malignancy, the CA 125 level is periodically monitored. A decreasing level generally indicates that therapy, including chemotherapy, has been effective, while an increasing level indicates tumor recurrence. Small changes are usually not considered significant. A doubling or halving of the previous value would be important.

Normal levels for CA 125 is less than 30 U/ml. Good news, my level is currently at 16 U/ml, which is about the same as the last time it was monitored (15 U/ml). What we take away from this result is that more than likely the lung nodules are still stable.

What happens next? It's another 3 months of waiting. Joy! In September, I will have another CA 125 test and CT scan. Until then, life goes on.

For those of you who wondered about the never ending headache that I experienced from January until March, I don't actually have an answer.  One day, it just went away and never came back. <shrug> C'est la vie!

11 comments:

Lee said...

Great news! So happy for you! Sending you a big hug! Love ya!!!
2 mins · Unlike · 1

Marianne said...

Hooray!

Tania said...

glad to hear this (( hugs ))

Yolanda said...

Awesome!

Tom said...

I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I'm that glad for this news.

Sandi said...

And yet I'm completely indifferent to the news. Hmmm... strange.

Tom said...

That means that you mean more to others than you do to yourself. Very humbling. Nothing like others we know.

Sandi said...

Gee, I cannot imagine who you mean.... think, think, think...

Unknown said...

YAH Sandi! this is fantastic news. you are in my thoughts as I do all those pmc training rides

Agatha said...

Fabulous!!!

Unknown said...

AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!