Monday, June 30, 2014

"The Hearts Wants What the Heart Wants"...To a Point!

Seriously!
I've mentioned it in a previous posting ("Platitudes Everywhere"), but I would like to reiterate how much I really, really, really hate platitudes; those meaningless statements that people occasionally use to explain bad behavior. For instance, the truly annoying YOLO ("you only live once"). I hear YOLO all the time with my students, usually said after they've done something questionable and it drives me completely insane. 

Let's examine the above written banality: 'The heart wants what the heart wants'. Now, I'm not saying that I don't think this statement is accurate. Quite the contrary. My life is a textbook example of how accurate that proclamation is. Despite my brain telling my heart that its desire is not going to happen, my perpetually shattered heart gives my brain the finger and tells it to "eff off." I didn't choose this heartache, but am stuck with it for however long it lasts (eternity?); therefore I agree that the heart wants what it wants...to a point.

Everyone is familiar with this scenario: a man and woman get married. One of the spouses gets a wandering eye and starts having an affair with another party. Suddenly, the faithful spouse ends up dead under suspicious circumstances. We've heard it time and time again. I was watching a rerun of Dateline the other night and the report was this exact scenario. Dateline presented the story of a man who killed his best friend because he had "fallen in love" and had an affair with the best friend's wife. The conniving psychopath of a wife inveigled and manipulated the lover into killing her husband. All very sordid and disgusting. During the interview, the murderer said something along the lines of "the heart wants what the heart wants" as to why he got involved with her in the first place. He didn't use that actual statement but it was almost those words. Ugh. Fortunately they're both in jail - him for life and her for 10 years (not nearly long enough in my opinion).

Now, I'm not going to cast aspersions on anyone who has an affair. That's none of my business. Personally, I would never cheat on or lie to someone that I made a commitment to, because I take promises and vows seriously. But I understand that these things happen. What I don't get is killing an innocent person in order to either be with your lover, or get the insurance money, or what have you. That's where you have to draw the line. Get a divorce, but don't resort to murder to solve your marital problems. And stop using the excuse that you did it because you were in love with someone. Basic human morality and laws do not fly out the window just because you fall in love, you sick, twisted bastards.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I think most of us can get behind not murdering someone because the heart wants it. According to the Internet, Emily Dickinson wrote her friend Mrs. Samuel Bowles a letter in the early Summer of 1862, when Mrs. Bowles was missing her traveling husband:

Dear Mary, — When the best is gone, I know
that other things are not of consequence. The
heart wants what it wants, or else it does not
care.

If that's the origin of the "heart wants" phrase, it's very different from (and much more insightful than) the way in which it's used today.

Sandi said...

That is one of my favorite quotes. And yes, I assume it's where the saying originated. But of course, it's Emily Dickinson which is why it's much more insightful and so much better written.