Wednesday, June 4, 2014

It's Called a Mirror...Please Use It!

I often wonder if people have mirrors in their homes - especially full length mirrors. I'm sure all of us have experienced this scenario - you're walking along, minding your own business, and someone walks by you wearing something that is completely inappropriate. It takes everything you have not to laugh, ridicule, or roll your eyes. I usually find myself doing all three. While I'm not exactly a fashion guru, I do recognize what's tasteful and what's not. Audrey Hepburn-tasteful, Courtney Love-not.

Last Friday, I had the "joy" of attending my school's senior prom. As a class advisor, I was required to be there, as it is not something I would willing volunteer to do. Blech!!! I didn't attend my high school prom, ergo the thought of going to one 30 years later was not appealing. Mostly I was disinterested in attending because I knew what to expect.  

Yes, I saw some sights that I was hoping I wouldn't see - slits so high that almost showed the girls' hoohas, backless dresses that were so low that the top of the ass crack was showing, and mountainous boobs on display! I'm not even going to talk about the ridiculous amounts of sequins, spangles, and other baubles hanging off of them. The same thoughts kept going through my head: "Where are your mothers who let you go out of the house in that gown?" and "Don't you have mirrors?!?!" I'm certain that these girls thought that they were wearing the height of fashion but the reality is most of them looked like they were being paid by the hour. It gave me a headache. Fortunately, I was hanging with some teachers and we just kept the snark flowing, which made for some good times.

As I was discussing this evening with a couple of friends the next day, one friend made the comment that every woman needs to bring a gay friend along when they go shopping - particularly for special occasions. I couldn't agree more. As he's a gay man, he should know best.  

Seriously, which of the outfits below would you rather see women wearing to a prom or any other important function?
I wish to give the following advice: If you do not own a full length mirror, please go buy one. They're really inexpensive! After purchasing the mirror (or if you already have one), PLEASE USE IT before you leave your house! If you're wearing pants so tight that they look painted on and/or you've got a camel toe on display, please change your pants. If you are showing nearly all your flesh and you're not heading to the beach, change the outfit. Finally, if you are applying your makeup with a trowel, stop it. 

1 comment:

Tom said...

I think the one on the right should be worn to a White House gala. Not as my date, of course. I would probably laugh myself into a seizure.