Saturday, September 27, 2014

Some of the World's Weirdest Laws...

It's been awhile since I created a post based on funny/weird stuff. Inspired by a report that I read last night about a city who shut down a boy's little library due to some antiquated and asinine law, I did a little research on weird laws around the world. I decided not to include the US - that will require an additional posting.

Here are the laws that I found to be the most bizarre, but believe me, the few listed here are just the tip of the iceberg on strange laws around the world:

Australia

It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes, and black shoe polish on your face as these items are tools of a cat burglar. [Yes, because everyone walks around like that!]
Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb.  [There's a joke in there somewhere.]

Canada

Businesses must provide rails for tying up horses. [Is this for the Royal Mounted Police?]
It is illegal to kill a sick person by frightening them. [But it's okay to do that to a healthy person?]
If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town. [What the...]

Denmark

If a horse drawn carriage is trying to pass a car and the horse becomes uneasy, the owner of the car is required to pull over and if necessary, cover the car. [Does that mean everyone has to carry a car cover at all times?]

France

In France, you can legally marry a dead person as long as preliminary civic formalities have been completed which show that you and your fiancee had planned to marry before your fiancee died. [What about consummating the marriage? Eeeeeuuuuuwwww!!]
No pig may be addressed as Napoleon by its owner. [But Napoleon was a.... never mind.]
It is illegal to take photos of police officers or police vehicles, even if they are just in the background. [I'll have to be careful when I travel there.]

Germany

It is illegal for your car to run out of gas on the Autobahn. [No calling AAA...or would it be called GAA in Germany? ]

Israel

It is forbidden to bring bears to the beach. [Damn, I'm going to have to find a bear sitter when I go to the beach.]
Picking your nose on the Sabbath is illegal. [Can you pick someone else's nose?]

Italy

A man may be arrested for wearing a skirt. [But I suppose the long flowing robes of the clergy is acceptable.]

Singapore

If you are convicted of littering three times, you will have to clean the streets on Sundays wearing a bib, which reads: "I am a litterer." [I guess there are worse punishments.]

Sweden

While prostitution is legal, it is illegal to use the services of a prostitute. [Erm, huh?]

Switzerland

Though it is illegal to produce, sell and trade absinthe, it is legal to consume it. [Again...erm, huh?]
It is illegal to flush the toilet after 10pm. [You can go to the bathroom, just don't flush. That could be interesting in a house with many people living in it.]

Thailand

It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear. [How do they enforce this law?]

United Kingdom

You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls after midnight. [Someone tell Robin Hood.]
Every week, all English males over the age of 14 are to carry out 2 or more hours of longbow practice under the supervision of the local clergy. [Is this in case they decide to invade Wales?]


Oh, what a weird and wacky world we live in.

6 comments:

Tom said...

I like Thailand's law. We need something like that here for habitually bad drivers. I want the job in Thailand that gets to check that law. Underwear Officer Grade 9. For Switzerland, it's called import (mail order). Sweden is definitely a strange dilemma. There's a lot of underemployed workers in that field, I guess.

Sandi said...

Wait...I'm confused. The Thailand law isn't about driving. Do you mean the Denmark law about pulling over for making a horse skittish? Just remember if you are going to do the underwear check, you check both genders! I'll have to check to see if you can import/mail order absinthe. And in Sweden there are either many unemployed or many arrests.

Tom said...

No. I meant the sign thing. Make bad drivers wear warning signs on them and their cars.

Sandi said...

Ahhhh, got it. That's Singapore that makes them wear the signs, but I like it.

Tania said...

my fav. ---It is forbidden to bring bears to the beach. [Damn, I'm going to have to find a bear sitter when I go to the beach.] --- LOL!!!!

Sandi said...

:-)