Saturday, August 9, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 27 - Nothing...

3 more entries after today - Day 27: "Conversely, write about something that’s kicking ass right now."

This posting will be short and sweet. I knew that eventually I would hit a challenge that I actual cannot answer. It was bound to happen. After all , it happened the last time I did a 30 day writing challenger - a couple of times, in fact.  Here's my answer:

Absolutely nothing in my life is "kicking ass" right now. Nothing is crashing and burning, but certainly nothing is "kicking ass". My life is hanging somewhere in the middle.

That was easy. Tomorrow: "5 things that make me LOL".
 ____

Since I couldn't actually answer today's challenge, I thought I'd post about something I saw yesterday which really annoyed me. Let me first say that I'm not a fan of bumper stickers. You will never find one on my car, but, okay, some people decide that they need to provide reading material for other drivers. Whatever. 

Yesterday, I so badly wanted to punch the driver of a mini-van from Connecticut and not just because of her shitty driving, which was epic! There was a bumper sticker that just enraged me. Here's what it said:
Argh! I kept thinking "What the F**K?!" My issue with this sticker (other than it was on the car) is that I hate when people equate their pets (or, in this case, their children's pets) to children. No, no, no, no, NO! I love my cat as much as the next person, but I would have bitch-slapped them if either of my parents had put a "I love my grandcat" on their car. As I said in a previous post, my cat is the closest thing that I have to a child (which is not even remotely close to what it means to have a child). I can state this as a fact: I did not birth my cat!

A former colleague of mine treated her ridonkulously expensive purebred dog like she had expelled it from her uterus and it just made me angry. I know lots of people who do this and I don't know why but it's just a pet peeve of mine. Pets are pets and children are children and people should not mix up those two statements. Certainly, you should not treat your children like pets, but please stop treating your pets like children. And for futz's sake, please stop dressing your dogs in costumes.
This dog wants to kill
someone!
Cracked.com agrees with me! From the article, "6 Stupid Things Pet Owners Need to Stop Doing Now", "Raising a pet is to raising a child what the Olive Garden is to eating Italian food. They are not even kind of the same thing, and to suggest that the two experiences are similar is nothing short of disrespectful." I could not have said it better!

11 comments:

Lee said...

You make me giggle sometimes. .... I hate to tell you this but my mom used to show pictures of our dog and lovingly call him her granddog. She of course loved her grandkids more...but she spoiled all of them!
Hope you have a "Kick Ass" school year, my friend! Love ya! <3

Sandi said...

:-) Glad I can make you giggle. It means I've done my job well. xoxox

Tom said...

I saw that same flipping bumper sticker yesterday. Were you in Philly? People go overboard with their freaking pets.

Sandi said...

Unfortunately...or fortunately... I was not in Philadelphia.

Marianne said...

LOL! I hate when people dress their animals too. Like everything else, pet ownership is just another area ripe for exploitation by eager entrepreneurs. While we sit here wondering how we will pay our bills some guy is counting the greenbacks that bumper sticker is responsible for. Damn, the bad luck that I didn't think of it, or the doggie cookbook, exercise video, etc.

Sandi said...

Damn. What a missed opportunity for making a boatload of bucks off of stupid people.

Marianne said...

Ah, no harm done. At least they are loving their pets and not abandoning or abusing them. There is a stigma attached to being childless. I get it all the time. They make you feel like you are missing out and aren't part of the mommy club as though that affords them more wisdom or whatever. I think it just means they are more, tired, crazy and broke. Being a pet mom or grandmom, somehow makes these folks feel they are equal to their counterparts. They have their own secret society. I guess since I have neither a child, grandchild or pet, I stand alone. I need to get busy on those bumper stickers! Now for a clever saying....hmmm.

Marianne said...

What is kicking ass right now.

I have to agree with Sandi, nothing is kicking ass in my life right now either. I have been laid up with this bad back all week. I did get a lot of sleep though. I think I will be able to get back to work Monday. So, that should get me going. But I am feeling those summertime blues. Ho hum.

Sandi said...

After 2 months of sitting on my butt, the thought of going back to work next week is so not appealing. Talk about summertime blues.

Paul said...

When you were considering this topic, did you forget your blog? your blog kicks A. That said, it would not be a good topic. Just too Escher.

Sandi said...

I did not consider my blog as an A kicker, that would be for others to decide. I'm far too humble. And agreed, not a good topic.