Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Originals or Remakes?

The other night I decided to watch the 1995 remake of Sabrina, which stars Harrison Ford, Julia Ormond, and Greg Kinnear. Now, I suspect that people will start hurling tomatoes at me for the following statement, but I think that the remade version of Sabrina is superior to the 1954 version which stars Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and William Holden. Before you start tossing those tomatoes, know that I am a fan of Bogart, Hepburn, and Holden, just not in Sabrina. I think Bogart is woefully miscast, and there is almost no chemistry between Hepburn and Bogart, which is kind of necessary in a romantic comedy. 

I started thinking about all the remakes of movies that have been done over the past century and tried to tally up whether on average I preferred the original films or the remakes. Quite the difficult task. I couldn't possibly list all the movies and their remakes here. How did I narrow what amounts to an untold number of movies? I decided to focus on the movies that I enjoy re-watching on a fairly regular basis. Let's see what I came up with (in no particular order):

Sabrina

Plot:  "Linus Larrabee, a busy tycoon who has no room for love in his appointment book. But when a romance between his playboy brother and Sabrina, daughter of the family chauffeur, threatens one of Linus' business deals, the CEO clears his schedule for some ruthlessness." (Amazon.com)
Cast lists: see above
Preference: Remake over original.

The Parent Trap

Plot: Identical twins, separated at birth and each raised by one of their biological parents, discover each other for the first time at summer camp and make a plan to bring their wayward parents back together.
Original (1961) cast: Hayley Mills, Brian Keith, and Maureen O'Hara - great cast!
Remake (1998) cast: Lindsay Lohan, Dennis Quaid, and Natasha Richardson - great cast!
Preference: It's a toss up; both are equally good and entertaining. 

Plot: "A handsome playboy and a beautiful night club singer have a romance while on a cruise from Europe to New York. Despite being engaged to other people, both agree to reunite at the top of the Empire State Building in six months. However, one of the two doesn't show up. Will they discover the truth behind the absence and reunite, or has fate and destiny passed them by?" (imdb.com) (One of the most beautiful, charming and heartbreaking love stories)
The 1939 Love Affair cast: Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer - great cast!
The 1957 An Affair to Remember cast: Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr - great cast!
The 1994 Love Affair cast: Warren Beatty, Annette Bening, and Katherine Hepburn - average cast.
Preference: The original and the 1957 remake are both equally fabulous and far outstrip the 1994 debacle; which might be worth watching once if only to see Katherine Hepburn's last film. 

The Shop Around the Corner/In The Good Old Summertime/You've Got Mail

Plot: "Two employees at a gift shop (or rival bookstore owners) can barely stand one another, without realizing that they're falling in love through the post/internet as each other's anonymous pen pal." (imbd.com)  There's also a musical stage version, She Loves Me, which has this plot and I just adore it.
The Shop Around the Corner cast: Margaret Sullavan and James Stewart - great cast!
In The Good Old Summertime cast: Judy Garland and Van Johnson - great cast! (Musical version of Shop Around)
You've Got Mail cast: Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks - great cast!
Preference: While I enjoy all three movies, Shop Around and Mail are wonderful movies and just ever so slightly edge out Summertime.

Arthur

Plot: "Arthur is a happy drunk with no pretensions at any ambition. He is also the heir to a vast fortune which he is told will only be his if he marries Susan. He does not love Susan, but she will make something of him the family expects. Arthur proposes but then meets a girl with no money who he could easily fall in love with" (imdb.com).
Remake (2011) cast: Russell Brand, Greta Gerwig (who?), and Helen Mirren - meh cast (other than Mirren).
Preference: Oh come on, there's no doubt about this one - the ORIGINAL! What was Helen Mirren thinking?

Plot: "Two gay men have their lives turned upside down when the son of one of the men announces he is getting married. They try conceal their lifestyle and their ownership of the drag club downstairs when the fiancée and her ultra conservative parents come for dinner" (imdb.com).
Preference: Birdcage! While La Cage is good, there's something very endearing about the remake. Perhaps it's because the cast includes some of my favorite performers. 

The Goodbye Girl

Plot: "After being dumped by her live-in boyfriend, an unemployed dancer and her 10-year-old daughter are reluctantly forced to live with a struggling off-Broadway actor" (imdb.com).
Preference: Original. Two words: Richard Dreyfuss! Need I say more:?


There were some other movies that I considered commenting on, but I feel like I don't know enough about all versions of the movies to actually judge them (i.e., Ocean's Eleven - love the remake but haven't seen the original). What do you think of this list? Do you agree with me? Or do I have to cut you off at the knees for disagreeing? Did I miss any of your favorites? And in general do you prefer the original or the remake? It would seem that I am split on that issue.

13 comments:

Marianne said...

I totally agree with all of your picks. I especially love the Sabrina remake. I do not see how anyone could fall for Bogart. My favorite original and remake is State Fair. Yes a corny musical but both versions are excellent.

Sandi said...

Seriously! I do not see the attraction of Bogart...especially over William Holden. I mean Bogart's a great actor but I wouldn't consider him attractive. I have never seen the remake of State Fair. I'll have to check it out.

Marianne said...

I know at least Ford and Kinnear are both handsome. Julia Ormand is also gorgeous. She still looks good. Love her in Witches of East End. The State Fair remake has Ann Margaret, Pat Boone and Bobby Darin. You will like it.

Sandi said...

What also drives me crazy about the original is how misogynistic it is. I mean I know it's the 50s but still. Plus it starts out with Hepburn contemplating suicide - how is that a romcom? I love Ann-Margret. I'm definitely going to check out the remake of SF.

Marianne said...

Ann Margaret is in Ray Donovan. She still looks pretty good too.

Sandi said...

I've been meaning to check out Ray Donovan because I think Liev Schreiber is such a great actor and have been hearing good things about it.

Marianne said...

He is, I love him. It is a dark character and Jon Voight is awesome as his father. They are Bostonians living in Cali. Definitely check it out.

SnarkyTom said...

OK. As you know I cannot pass up an opportunity to comment when you write about movies, music or theater. So, here's my opinion. Sabrina = remake. I agree. Bogie is cool, but other than Lauren Bacall I don't see anyone falling for him.
The Parent Trap = Hayley Mills. Still crushin' on her. Lohan is just boobs and no talent.
An Affair To Remember = Never saw the other two.
You've Got Mail = never saw the other two. I'm not a Garland fan, but would love to see the Jimmy Stewart. Love JS.
Arthur = Original. The remake is a piece of shit.
The Birdcage = Saw both. The French do not know funny like Williams & Lane.
The Goodbye Girl = Original. I like Jeff Daniels, but we're talking Dreyfuss and Mason. Faw-get about it!!
Ocean's Eleven = Seen both. Loved both, but loved the Original's ending better. It was awesome. You must see it.

Now I pose one for you: A Christmas Carol...the modern versions

Scrooged (1988) Bill Murray
The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) Michael Caine
A Christmas Carol (2009) Jim Carrey

I'm ignoring all the animated and made-for-TV movies, because I don't think they quite step up to the level as movie theater versions. My pick: Scrooged.

Sandi said...

Okay, let me first mention that Lohan in Parent Trap was not all boobs. She was 11 and pretty good in the movie. As she's gotten older, well...

I will definitely check out the original Ocean's Eleven - considering that cast is full of legends!

Oh my goodness! How could I forget A Christmas Carol??? Wow, if you're going to limit me only to the 3 modern versions you listed, then I would agree Scrooged is the best of them, but hands down the best Christmas Carol version of all time is the 1951 remake with Alastair Sim.

Tom said...

I agree. No one beats Alastair Sim.

I still wasn't impressed by the 11 year-old boobless version of Lindsay Lohan either. I'm just saying. I don't think she's all that talented an actor.

Marianne said...

I liked Lindsey and Dennis Quaid is so cute so was the Mom, I forget her name but she was married ti Liam Neeson and died from a skiing accident. Loved her in the remake.

Sandi said...

That was Natasha Richardson who was one of my all time favorite actresses. So talented and so sad when she passed away.

Marianne said...

Thanks, I was too lazy to look her name up