Sunday, August 10, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challege: Day 28 - 5 Things That Make Me LOL!

Oh, wow, only 2 more days until I go back to writing about whatever!!  Day 28: "Post 5 things that make you laugh-out-loud".

This task is a bit on the vague side. What is it actually asking for? Should I list the 5 people/things who can make me laugh? Do I list 5 jokes that make me laugh? How about the five funniest television commercials? Or am I actually posting clips from movies or television that I turn to when I need a laugh? In past postings, I've listed my favorite comedic movies and the funniest British televisions shows, so that's already covered. As I really don't know what this challenge is looking for, I have decided to do all of the above.

Let's start with people/things that I know in real life. Here are five that I can guarantee will make me laugh:

1. My Mr. Darcy: When I was in communication with this very entertaining man, I was more often than not laughing. In fact, of all the people I've ever known, he is the funniest and wittiest of the lot. Yes, he drove me to distraction and broke my heart, but that doesn't alter the fact that without question, he is the funniest human being who ever passed through my life.

2. Lotta the Wonder Cat: My cat absolutely slays me with her antics. On a daily basis, she manages to get herself into some of the funniest situations. I heartily give a big guffaw. See the photo below - c'mon, now that's hilarious.

3. My brother, Tom: My eldest sibling is a really funny, funny man. Snarky and acerbic commentary makes for ensuing hilarity.

4. Some of my colleagues: Working in an urban district is stressful and often disheartening. Fortunately, I work with some amazingly funny people. Not all of them mind you, but the ones I'm closest to are incredibly funny and certainly make my school a fun place to work.

5. The ladies from my book club: My book club has 9 really amazing women and when we are all in the same room, it's a gas. Of course, with all those women, it's hard to get a word in but the night is filled with humor and joy.

That covers the things in real life that make me laugh. What's next? How about some jokes:

1. A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The bus driver says: "Ugh, that's the ugliest baby I've ever seen!" The woman walks to the rear of the bus and sits down, fuming. She says to a man next to her: "The driver just insulted me!" The man says: "You go up there and tell him off. Go on, I'll hold your monkey for you."

2. "I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu." (Read this joke aloud!)

3. I cleaned the attic with the wife the other day. Now I can't get the cobwebs out of her hair.

4. A man is attending the Super Bowl, when he notices an empty seat. Thinking this to be strange, the man asks the person sitting next to the empty seat if he knows who's sitting there. The guy replies: "Well, I bought two tickets for my wife and I a long time ago, but she passed away." So the man asks: "Couldn't you have brought someone else?" "They're all at the funeral."

5. A statue of a man and a statue of a woman stood looking at each other for hundreds of years out in a park. One day a wizard, feeling sorry for the statues, brought them to life for 30 minutes. Right away, the two of them ran into some nearby bushes and you could hear all kinds of strange sounds and moans from there. After a while they came back out, giggling. The wizard told them "You have another 15 minutes left, if you want to have another go." The statues looked at each other and the male statue answered "Fine, but this time you hold the pigeon and I'll shit on it."

Not into jokes? Here are links to commercials that I always find to be laugh out loud funny no matter how many times I watch them:

1. Hump Day Camel (Geico)
2. Trade-In Maxwell Pig (Geico)  [Note: while all the Geico commercials are amusing these are my 2 favorites)
3. You're Not You When You're Hungry campaign (Snickers)
4. Whassup campaign (Budweiser)
5. Stephen Colbert pistachio campaign (Wonderful Pistachios)

As I've already covered comedic movies and television shows in other posts, let's go with the top 5 funniest standup routines - linked to the full show:

1.  Chris Rock, Bring the Pain
2.  George Carlin, Jammin' in New York
3.  Eddie Murphy, Delirious
4.  Eddie Izzard, Dress to Kill
5.  Bill Cosby, Himself

There you have it. A random list of different things that make me laugh out loud.

Tomorrow, Day 29: "Next 30-day goals".

Here's a very short bonus LOL video for you. It's only 10 seconds long, yet makes me laugh every time!



10 comments:

Tom said...

This is going to be hard to follow. Thanks for the honorable mention.

Sandi said...

No thanks necessary - you've earned it. ;-) I have faith that you'll write something brilliant.

Marianne said...

Agreed Tom Smith is pretty funny, so is Chris Rock. The GEICO camel, Mike, Mike, a Mike Aldo never gets old. Here are mine.
Five things that make me laugh out loud

I Love Lucy - What can I say Lucille Ball is the queen of comedy hands down. I used to watch these reruns when I was a kid. My mother would come in and ask why I was watching that old stuff. Why? Because she was a riot. She still cracks me up. Timeless. Just love her.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - The Knights who say ni, shrubbery, the bridge keeper, The Black Knight, etc., the list is endless. A true classic that is truly hilarious.

King of Queens - Doug and Carrie are just too funny. Since my husband is Doug Heffernan, I can relate. And, the supporting cast add another level of interpersonal conflict that enriches this series. Just when I thought Jerry Stiller had maxed out his talent by playing Frank Costanza on Seinfeld, he surpassed that role with Arthur Spooner. So freaking funny. Bravo!

South Park - Ah yes, these adorable, rambunctious little cherubs can say anything and get away with it. Strong political and social perspectives are presented through the eyes of youth although these kids are far from naive. While many episodes are deserving, my personal favorite is the season 13 "Dead Celebrities" episode.

The Andy Griffith Show - Another classic depicting small town values through the lives of Sheriff Andy Taylor and his family and friends. Andy's kind and fair yet macho and yes even misogynistic character matures throughout the series, the comic relief is provided by the incomparable Don Knotts. Knotts' Deputy Barney Fife's gullibility compliments Sheriff Taylor's sagacious intuition and provides just enough conflict to keep us forever endeared to Mayberry.

Sandi said...

Oooh, good ones. I concur with all 5 of yours. Funny, funny stuff!

Tom said...

I forgot to mention that I liked the jokes. They made me laugh except for the one I said out loud. I still didn't get it. And all the links were the best.

Sandi said...

"I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu." (shit zoo) Get it! LOL!!!

Tom said...

Ahhhhh....Now I get it. Sometimes the punch line just zooms right pass me.

Sandi said...

When I read it, I didn't understand it either. But then I said it aloud and laugh my arse off.

Dolores said...

Oh Oh Oh I LOVE I love Lucy Marianne will attest to that, do you guys remember when she mowed down Carolyn Appleby''s tulips with the mower that Ricky said NOT to use then she planted plastic ones, if not look for it on you-tube very funny!!n or how about the one where she is lip syncing to Carmen Miranda and the record kept skipping? the Chocolate factory I can go on and on.

Marianne said...

The trips to Europe and Hollywood were hysterical too!