Thursday, August 7, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 25 - Lawns

We're on the downward slide to the end. Day 25: "Think of any word. Search it on Google images. Write something inspired by the 11th image".

Interesting, yet weird. Okay, I could not think of a word. I drew a blank. Instead of thinking up a word, I grabbed the book I'm currently reading (The Art of Fielding), opened it to a random page, closed my eyes, and pointed: Lawns. The posted picture is the 11th image from Google Images: San Francisco Botanical Garden Lawn.

When I think of lawns, I think of my childhood. A good portion of my childhood was spent outside, playing in the yard. I wonder: do children still go out and play in the yard? Additionally, when I got a little older, I would help mow the lawn - loved the ride-on mower! Some of my best summer moments were playing in and mowing the yard.

But the picture that I found on Google Images does not remind me of childhood...at all! Granted when we lived in Pennsylvania, we had 2 acres of property but it didn't look at all like that picture. No, that picture reminds me more of NYC's Central Park - specifically the Great Lawn. I admit one of the things I miss about New York City (and there aren't that many) is Central Park. The perfect place to while away the hours is Central Park. There's just so much to do there: concerts on the Great Lawn, visiting the zoo, watching games at the baseball diamonds, riding the carousel, walking through the conservatory gardens, exploring the rambles, and so much more. Yes, New York is a concrete jungle but there's the perfect green oasis right the heart of this tiny, overcrowded, noisy, dirty city.

The posted image makes me want to go visit both NYC's Central Park and San Francisco's Botanical Garden. Ahhhh, if only...

Tomorrow, Day 26: "what I need to improve on".

6 comments:

Marianne said...

No lawns here. We have rocks

Marianne said...

Cake. I chose cake because I really wanted a piece of moist, delicious cake with yummy, buttery frosting. This is the image I got: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KbhwQk8Q-J0/maxresdefault.jpg. Needless to say this was not what I had in mind. It looks like a pinata threw up. In any case the craving has been extinguished and the photo filed for future use.

Sandi said...

That's a nasty looking cake!

Marianne said...

They actually call it a pinata cake. I found others. Yuck!

Agatha said...

Marianne, I baked brownies for the office today and didn't have a ONE, I could send you brownies, it would have been better than that sorry excuse for a cake.

Tom said...

Yes, Virginia, there is a...wait, wrong story. Yes, in my neighborhood in Philadelphia the kids still play outside in the yard. All the yards. There are no boundaries when you live in the city and have a 13' x 13' front yard. So to not be that grumpy old man, I fixed up my yard so the little bastards can play in it at free will when I'm not there.