Monday, February 2, 2015

The Call With the Oncologist (A Cancer Update)

It's been 12 days since my latest CT scan and the oncologist finally saw fit to call me this morning to discuss the results and her recommendations. First, she had to apologize for not calling me before today. Of course, it helped that I had a 10 minute diatribe with the receptionist regarding the doctor's lack of response in calling me. I even threatened to find a new doctor, so you bet your ass she should apologize.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that Dr. J. made the exact same recommendations that my last oncologist made (blog: Weighing the Options): chemo, Tamoxifen, or Bevacizumab. Yeah, nothing new. No additional treatments available. No cure for what I have.

I told her that I'm away and whenever I return to Philadelphia, we'll meet, but I'm not changing my mind. I will remain treatment free. The one thing that I missed from reading the test results myself was that there is some fluid in my lungs (pleural effusion), which I will have to keep an eye on. If it gets worse, then I'll go to urgent care and have the fluid drained - now doesn't that sound like a fun way to spend some time.

That's all I have to report on the cancer front. Right now, I'm enjoying the gorgeous Florida weather, well away from the snow and sleet of the north. I'm having fun spending time with family and friends here in Florida. I can't wait for my niece's wedding and my trip to Orlando to see Micky and Harry Potter.

All I have to say is:

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thinking of you and sending hugs!!!

Tom said...

There is an alternative you haven't considered...voodoo witch doctor.

Sandi said...

I'll look into that when I get to New Orleans.

Jane said...

Tom is definitely your brother. :-p

Heather A said...

What about the caner treatment centers they advertise on TV. I want to smack your Doctor! Might be able to score some free universal tickets if you want more. Let me know I can check. Drink lots of butter beer!

Janine said...

Sorry you didn't get a better report. Thinking of you. Xo

Tom said...

Cancer Centers of America is a few miles from my house. If Sandi is up for it, we can try them. They claim to be the place for last resource.

Sandi said...

Aww sweet, Heather. I think I'm good on tickets but will let you know if that changes. I doubt CTC would have any different treatments.

Heather A said...

Not sure but I think they honor and help with what ever your decision is. Could be a great resource. They might not but they might be able to make you comfy and take care of the fluid. Hey if they are down the street why not see. You may end up helping others dealing with it now of even future generations. You ate such an inspiration. Do try all the butter beer types sooooooo goood !

Gretchen said...

Sandi, keep on truckin. Squeeze the life outta this trip and keep embracing this path you've chosen. You seem so fearless. I honor you, amazing lady.

Lee said...

F@*# Cancer is the damn truth!! You are a true inspiration! Love you!

Sandi said...

Love you, guys

Elizabeth said...

Sandi you not hearing from your oncologist is unacceptable. You know your body so just monitor and respiratory or pulmonary changes while you are on the road. Enjoy your time with Tim & Manuela & Tiffany. Safe travels-♡♡

Sandi said...

Thanks, cuz. Will do!

Unknown said...

Sending you a big hug, Sandi!