Friday, February 6, 2015

Personal Funding Websites (GART)

There's something that I never, ever thought that I would do: ask people for money. It's something that I've always been uncomfortable with. When I worked in the corporate world and they asked if I could help with making collection calls, I had to beg off because I'm horrendous at asking for money - even when it's owed. Even in the past, when people would sponsor me for charitable events, like the AIDS walk, I would have a hard time collecting. It's a pride thing.

But, "times they are a changin'."  While having a conversation with a friend a few weeks back, I had mentioned that my Great American Road Trip might need to be amended due to monetary issues. I spent a little too much in Europe, plus some additional unexpected expenses when I got home caused my bank account to drop a little more than expected. Determined to still complete this trip, I decided that I would just have to be very, very careful. That's when my friend suggested that I sign up with a personal funding website, so that people can sponsor my trip. What? That's a thing now? Having only known about sites like Kickstarter which are business related, she gave me the low down. It turns out there are several websites where people can ask for funding for whatever they need: medical expenses, funeral costs, new car, etc. Who knew? Some of the stories on these sites are unbelievably heartbreaking.

I thought about her suggestion for a few weeks and then finally decided to give it a shot. What did I have to lose? Yesterday, I set up my personal funding website on GoFundMe, which is one of the best rated sites. It's easy to set up and get running. I've already had several generous friends and family members sponsor my road trip. While I've had to swallow my rather large pride to set up this site, I'm grateful for anyone who makes a donation. It's amazing the kindness of others.

If anyone is so interested in helping to sponsor my road trip, my personal site is Sandi's Great American Road Trip. For anyone who has uber-rich friends who are kind-hearted, feel free to send them the site.  ;-)

No comments: