Friday, February 27, 2015

Interstate vs. State Highways (GART)

Subtitle: Driving from Little Rock to New Orleans

Prior to the 1950s, people who traveled via automobile had to utilize state highways which are a mixture of primary and secondary roads - often bringing the traveler into small towns and cities along their journey. In the 1950s, President Dwight D. Eisenhower championed the development of an interstate highway system. "He justified the project through the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 as essential to American security during the Cold War. It was believed that large cities would be targets in a possible war, hence the highways were designed to facilitate their evacuation and ease military maneuvers" (Wikipedia). Thanks to President Eisenhower, the U.S. now has an amazing interstate highway system which moves people faster to their destinations along roads that bypass towns and cities. It's an efficient way to travel, but is it the best way to travel.

I departed Little Rock late yesterday morning en route to New Orleans - with a overnight stop in Vicksburg, MS. It was an interesting drive. The drive took me from Tennessee to Louisiana to Mississippi back to Louisiana. The first half of the drive (from Little Rock to Vicksburg) brought me along state highways while the latter half was strictly via interstate highways. While I traveled quicker along the interstate, the state highway drive was far more enjoyable and fun. 

While in Tennessee, I drove through a town with a population of 240. Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine living in that small of a town. 

Additionally, while in Tennessee, I received the following advice:
That seems like good advice to me. 

Then when I hit Louisiana, I drove through a town called Transylvania in which the residents have a sense of humor about the name of their town by putting a vampire bat on their city water tank.
Of course, being in the deep South, there is an inordinate amount of churches. I swear in one quarter mile stretch, I counted 6 churches - mostly Baptist. Seriously? Any place that has more churches than schools disturbs me. Of course, when people travel they need their coffee fixes, so you can always go to...
Yeah, the deep South and their religious fervor bugs me, but otherwise, I really liked traveling along the state highways. I would have never been able to take photos like these on in the interstates. The best I've been able is take a quick "Welcome to..." photo when crossing state lines.

Leaving Vicksburg this morning, I traveled about 10 miles on a state highway before switching to Interstate 55 for the rest of the trip into New Orleans and I was bored beyond belief. Nothing but mile after mile of roads with very little to see unless you take an exit.

Yes, you get places faster with interstates, but you get better gas mileage, have more interesting scenery, and better entertainment value by sticking to state highways. So while I thank President Eisenhower for our efficient interstate highway system, I am saddened by the loss of more interesting driving routes with state highways.

4 comments:

Tom said...

I would choose Ike's handiwork especially going through the South. Those people are weird and still hate the Yankees. I don't know what A-Rod ever did to them, but oh well. Speed on to Nawlins and have a fun, safe trip and bring me back some Jambalaya please.

Agatha said...

Hey, Tom we are not weird! Some of the most charming places in the country are found on the back roads -- interstate driving is quick but not very scenic.

Sandi said...

I'm with you, Agatha. Tom's just being a curmudgeon.

Tom said...

Everyone is weird. North, South, it's the American way. And you forget you are a transplanted northerner and not a true southerner and would not be accepted by the deeply rooted hillbilly white trash rebel of the true South, where the Confederacy will rise again...or something like that.