Sunday, April 6, 2014

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 29 (I Dreamed a Dream)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

It's no secret, I adore musicals. Once upon a time, I would have loved nothing more than to spend the rest of my life doing musical theatre - especially on the Broadway stage, but alas it wasn't meant to be. One of my all time favorite musicals is Les Misérables, based on the amazing book by Victor Hugo. I have seen the stage musical approximately 6 or 7 times and I listen to the Broadway soundtrack with regularity. My dream role would be to play Madame Thénardier, although once upon a time in my younger days, I would have wanted Fantine or Éponine. 

Yesterday, I finally got around to seeing the 2012 movie starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway. I'm not certain why I was hesitant to see the movie. Maybe I was thinking that it would not be as good as the stage version. I was wrong! Tom Hooper's direction and the cinematography, costumes, art design, sets, and editing are nothing short of genius.

Hooper's idea to have the actors sing live really brings a deeper emotion to the film not seen in other movie musicals. Hugh Jackman is absolutely incredible as Jean Valjean and carries the film with spectacular grace. Anne Hathaway is magnificent in her fleeting role as Fantine - the film's sequence in which she goes on a downward spiral is one of the its best moments, and her ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE HEARTFELT rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" is most likely why she won a much deserved Oscar for this role.

Also, a great supporting turn as the heartbroken Éponine from newcomer Samantha Barks, who is sure to be shot into stardom. Amanda Seyfried (Cosette), Eddie Redmayne (Marius) and Aaron Tveit (Enjorlas) are also quite good (especially Tveit), and there's some great comedic relief from Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen as the thieving Thénardiers. Russell Crowe I have mixed feelings over. Crowe's soft-voiced Javert takes some getting used to, and while it works more often than one might expect, he sometimes seems to be singing with a sock in his mouth - most notably during "One Day More", where he seems to have been mixed in at a different volume level from the rest of the cast. Yet the cinematography of "Stars" is simple yet stunning, and "Javert's Suicide" suffers nothing in this interpretation.

There is a new song added to the movie - "Suddenly" sung by Jean Valjean (Jackman) which is haunting and achingly beautiful. The song I decided to feature though is Hathaway's "I Dream a Dream". Along with "On My Own", this song hits home for me on a personal level as it closely resembles my own life and has been added to my catharsis playlist. I have long been a fan of Ms. Hathaway's performances and this version of the song kills me each time I watch/listen to it. I dare you not to weep.

2 comments:

Tom said...

I agree. It was well casted and an all around good cry, I mean, time. I'm still not sure why they needed a new song. Great song, but not clear to how that improved upon the musical. I've only seen the stage performance twice. I don't get out much. This may be the only movie I've ever seen Anne Hathaway. Her others have been took girly for me. Was she in The Devil Wears Prada? Anyway. I saw this last year. I'm surprised it took you this long to see this.

Sandi said...

On the DVD, there's an explanation about why Hooper wanted to add the song. It has to do with something that he read the book that he felt was missing in the musical - the change in Valjean because of Cosette. I love the new song. It may or may not be added to the stage show. They haven't decided yet. Hathaway was in The Devil Wears Prada.