Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 30 (Fireflies)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been teaching a poetry unit to my Freshman. In order to liven up the unit, I teach a portion of it using songs instead of poems because after all, songs are just poems set to music. Plus it's a good way to get by the "I hate poetry" complaint of some of my students. As I teach a specific literary element, I search out songs that have that specific element in the lyrics, which brought me to a new (to me) musician. I wanted to teach hyperbole and needed a song with a lot of exaggeration and stumbled across "Fireflies" by Owl City.

Owl City is "an American electronica project created in 2007 in Owatonna, Minnesota, one of several such projects by singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Adam Young" (Wikipedia). Young developed this project in his parent's basement, which differs slight from the other bands, which usually develop in parent's garages. Owl City created quite a stir and following on MySpace (does anyone still use MySpace?). After releasing two independent album, Owl City gained mainstream popularity with the 2009 major label debut album Ocean Eyes, which included the quadruple-platinum song, "Fireflies". In 2011, Owl City released his third studio album, All Things Bright and Beautiful, which was followed by The Midsummer Station in August 2012. Owl City has also recorded songs for animated films including Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, Wreck-It Ralph, The Croods (cute movie), and The Smurfs 2. Interestingly, Owl City is one of Young's many solo projects, with all music written, composed, recorded, and produced by him. During live performances he is accompanied by a group of supporting musicians.

I've only had time to check out a few other songs by Owl City and in addition to "Fireflies", I also really like "Metropolis", "Shine Your Way" from The Croods, and "Shooting Star". But I really, really love "Fireflies" (lyrics).  Adam Young described the song as "A little song about bugs and not being able to fall asleep at night." The song is built around a "bleepy" 1980s-influenced synthline and includes lyrics about insomnia, fireflies, and summer. As an oftentimes insomniac, I really like songs about sleepless nights. Makes me feel I'm not alone with my sleeplessness.  :-)  Enjoy! 

4 comments:

Tom said...

First, I love electronica. Second, how have I not heard of this guy before now. Third, there is not third. Fourth, how many parts is there to this series "Music Doesn't Lie"? And why haven't I seen the first 24 parts? And lastly, have you ever heard Imogene Heap? Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk

Sandi said...

First, glad to hear you like eletronica. Me too. Second, don't know how you missed him, but so did I. Third, I want a third. Fourth, I don't know how long this series will go. I just keep adding to it. For an accountant, your math skills suck. "First 24 parts"?? Last, never heard of Imogen Heap, but I'm loving Hide and Seek. Thanks for sharing.

Tom said...

First 24 parts was because I've read the last 6 parts. I started somewhere around 25 I guess. My math skills are impeachable. However, my socialization skills are an entirely different train wreck.

Sandi said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, got it. I don't know how you missed the first 24 parts. I started that series nearly 2 years ago. Well, we've known about your terrible social skill for decades. You are who you are, brother mine.