Sunday, March 3, 2013

Do You Have "Th1rteen R3asons Why"?

Are there thirteen people in your life that you would like to send messages to regarding various lingering and nagging issues? I'm not sure I have thirteen people but yeah, I can imagine sitting down and letting certain people know my thoughts and feelings about a few topics from the past. That storyline is the basic premise of the 2007 New York Times best-selling young-adult fiction novel, Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, which I'll be starting with my English 3 Honors class this week. I remember reading this book in 2007 when it was released and I just finished re-reading it in preparation to teach it. 

Synopsis:  "Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face."  (from the book jacket)

Review:  I remember when I first read this novel, I told everyone who had a teenager in their lives that they needed to have them read it. Six years later and that comment still holds true. This book is phenomenal. I'm actually quite surprised that most of my students have never read this book, but then again - they don't read any books, so I suppose it's not that surprising.  Similar to Speak (another must read), this novel deals with the major issues that most teenagers face these days: bullying, peer pressure, death, guilt, sex, revenge, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc. Winner of several book awards, Thirteen Reasons Why grabs the reader instantly. It's well-written, perceptive, and has elements of a psychological mystery/thriller. The reader is left to ponder the power of words, rumors, and innuendo. Teen readers will be able to identify with the characters and situations, and adults will be reminded (sadly) of their teen years (and people they'll never forget - equally the good and the bad). I will once again emphasize that this is a MUST READ, no matter what your age! Just be sure to start reading it at a reasonable hour, because putting it down isn't an option!

Rating:  5 out of 5 stars

The video below has nothing whatsoever to do with the novel.  I saw this video today. Cuteness abounds in it and I just wanted to share it.  I dare you not to be charmed by these cute baby animals. I really needed some sweet cuteness in my day and this video was it...

No comments: