Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Best Album of All Time?

On my way to and from school today, I was listening to Michael Jackson's 1982 best selling album, Thriller and the thought that ran through my head is that many people consider this album the greatest album of all time, but do I think that?  Hmmmm.  For starters, I think I need to narrow down the field of best albums according to decade.  After all, it seems only fair.  It's hard comparing the different decades because music has evolved so much over the years, therefore let me at least list my top picks for each decade - starting with the 1950s. 

 The 1950s:  Sorry, but hands down the best album (and performer) from the 1950s is Elvis Presley's debut album Elvis Presley (1956). Is there really any argument about this??  Let me just list these few songs:  "Blue Suede Shoes" "I Got a Woman", "Blue Moon", "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry (Over You)". Need I say more? I would love to hear arguments for any other album because you'll lose every time.

The 1960s:  Here's where it gets difficult.  Can I just list every Beatles album??  Okay, no - that wouldn't be fair.  I'll have to narrow it down.  For me, I would say Abbey Road (1969) by The Beatles is the best of the 60s.  I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at for picking Abbey Road over The White Album (1968) or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967). Believe me, it was a difficult choice. Something about Abbey Road just resonates with me over any other Beatles album.  And similar to Elvis in the 1950s, is there any other artist that would win out over The Beatles?

The 1970s:  Ah, the lost decade.  The decade when the world lost its mind and embraced disco!  Yuck! This decade is difficult for many reasons, the least of which being the disco era.  How do you choose Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run (1975) over Fleetwood Mac's Rumours (1976) over Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973) over Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell (1977) over Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (1973)? All of these albums deserve the top billing, but my heart will always remain faithful to Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road edges out the others.

The 1980s: I've already mentioned Michael Jackson's Thriller and yes, I like that album, but I don't think it's the best of the decade.  (Although it is still the best selling album of all time.)  My pick for the 1980s is Prince's Purple Rain (1984).  To this day, I practically weep when I hear the title song. Just hearing the opening chord of "Let's Go Crazy" makes me want to get up and dance!!

The 1990s: Okay after the 1980s, I start having issues because I think music from the 1990s through today sucks by comparison.  I stopped listening to the radio by the mid-90s.  I suppose if I have to choose the best album from the 1990s, it would be Nirvana's Nevermind (1991).  Not my favorite but it's the best I could come up with on short notice.

The 2000s:  Ugh! Do I really HAVE to do the 2000s?  <sigh>  Okay, fine.  I suppose I would choose Radiohead's Kid A (2000).  Again, not my favorite, but probably the best of the decade.   

Which wins my vote for best album of all time??
Abbey Road!
For me, The Beatles will always be the best of the best and every performer can thank The Beatles for launching their careers.

I'm sure some people completely disagree on my choices. <shrugs> Check out Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the top 500 albums of all time. Quite a compilation. 




No comments: