Sunday, March 31, 2013

Giving Up on Dreams?

Holy cow! It's been a week since my last post. I can't remember the last time I had writer's block this bad – I've been feeling very uninspired all week. But a thought finally popped into my head today and I thought I'd share it. It's about pipe dreams. Is there ever a time to give up on all your dreams? Everyone has some fantasy that they've always wanted to fulfill – whether it's running a marathon (sickos!), writing the great American novel, or even just living a quiet, peaceful life somewhere. As for me, I've already given up on my biggest wish – being a stage performer in NYC, but is it ever acceptable to give up on every dream that you have? Such is my current bewilderment. 

A couple of days ago, a friend shared on Facebook this photo (↑) of a rose-covered storybook home and I just fell in love with this little cottage located in the Cotswolds in England. I posted that I wanted to live in this pretty house but with my luck I'd probably only get my "tiny cottage" when I'm pushing up daisies. (Hopefully something nicer than a plain pine box.) To which my friend replied: "I can see you teaching in a French or English countryside school house, with your quaint little cottage home and some Mr. Darcy like man tending the garden." I had to laugh. I mean it's sweet, but unlikely to happen. My long held dream (other than performing on Broadway) is to live in the English countryside in a little cottage and teach at the local secondary school where I'm sure the student body will make fun of my "American" accent. (I'd settle for the French or Italian countryside but England has always been my first dream.) But it seems improbable that it will ever happen. I've looked into moving to the UK and it's nearly hopeless for a US citizen to get a work visa. Therefore, much as I appreciate what my friend wrote, it's never going to happen. (The Darcy statement is just too redonkulus to even bother commenting on.)

So is it time to give up on my final dream or do I hold onto this one last wish? When it is time to say "enough"? I've always been a dreamer and, unlike the performing dream, this one is not so farfetched and yet I cannot see it ever coming to fruition.What dreams have you held onto? Which ones have you given up on? How did you decide on whether to hold on or give up?
 
To Fate: "Yes, please!" Fate replies with a slap to the head.

14 comments:

Lee said...

Never, ever give up, my friend. I honestly believe if you want something bad enough and you are willing to make sacrifices..
You can DO it!!! Look into teaching overseas ...I will keep my eyes open for you..I often get some information about opportunities around the end of the year for summer break.

Sandi said...

Thanks, Lee. I'll try that!

Marianne said...

Don't give up just seek out opportunities to make it happen. Doesn't Boston U have an international studies program where you could do a year abroad? I had the opportunity to study at Cambridge my last year of law school and I didn't go. That was a missed opportunity for sure. Oh well, too late for me but maybe not for you. Look into it even if you have to finance it yourself. I know I will be repaying student loans until I die but all in all the investment was worth it because I really love what I do.

Sandi said...

Yeah, well I'm already in debt up to my eyeballs and on a teacher's salary it means it's not getting paid. I'll look into the study abroad but my program is pretty limited because it's a specialized one for TFA corps members. I'd like to get my Ph.D. in England and am looking into programs but funding is another story.

Stacie said...

And I wouldn't say what I couldn't honestly see. :-)

Sandi said...

♥ you so much, Stace-alah!

Marianne said...

I am not letting you give up! Another possibility would be to get your license and check the USA Jobs website. You could teach overseas at a military installation. We have Air Force bases in England. You would be teaching kids of Soldiers. Salaries are decent and jobs are relatively secure.

Sandi said...

LOL!! Glad someone is around to kick my ass! Thanks, cuz. I never even thought about military bases - or embassies for that matter.

Marianne said...

That's more like it! <3

Unknown said...

I dreamed a dream of ham on rye...

Seriously, when I was growing up in Louisiana, we had something called the "Twining Festivals" that involved teachers and students from Louisiana switching roles with teachers and students in France for a year at a time. It is/was(?) a very popular program started by Louisiana's Art Council in the mid '70's. I would contact the arts council in Massachusetts (or other nearby New England states) to see whether it has a similar program with England. (http://www.massculturalcouncil.org/)

The other suggestion I have is that you go to dental school, because England needs more dentists. Then you might even be able to afford a little castle and to teach/write whenever you wanted!

Wise arse-ing aside, I hope you find a way to realize your dream, Sandi. Keep me posted!!

Sandi said...

LOL!! Oh, Troy! You slay me!! But interesting idea about role switching. I'll have to look into it. Thanks, my friend!

Unknown said...

Also, what about:

http://www.iie.org/fulbright

??

Christy said...

giving up is NOT an option, ever...shifting, on the other hand, is always an option. keep dreamin' my friend...good things will come your way.

Sandi said...

Christy, sweet sentiment. But good things NEVER come my way. It's something I've learned to live with. :-)