Monday, March 4, 2013

Career Change: "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"

A few months back, I explained in a posting that nearly 99% of my students are either English language learners or former English language learners, consequently many of our idioms go completely over their heads. I have a habit of using idioms as a matter of course and most of my students get completely lost when I use them. Therefore, I started instituting An Idiom of the Day. Today was a funny kind of day...

During one of my planning periods, the assistant principal asked me if I could cover a Biology class for a few minutes while that teacher met with the principal.  Of course I said "yes."  Most of the students in this class I didn't know but two of my seniors were there. We got to chatting and the one senior (a girl) asked me if I had any kids. I told her no but then I said "Well actually I have 90 kids - my students." She laughed. She asked me if I wanted any and I told her that at 47, that ship had sailed for me. She then asked if I was married or had a boyfriend to which I said no. She then asked if I had a girlfriend. I laughed and said nope. She then told me that I should go with her to the Dominican Republic so that she could find me a boyfriend. I laughed so hard and then said that it was sweet of her, but that I wasn't interested.  She asked me "why not?"  Then I said "once bitten, twice shy."  She had a look of confusion on her face so I had to explain that I was hurt badly by someone recently and that the idiom means when you have had an unpleasant experience you are more likely to avoid similar experiences in the future.  She said, "Oooooooooo." 

My teenagers are funny. They are fascinated with my love life... or rather my lack of a love life. One male student said to me the other day:  "Miss, you better get on finding a man because you're getting old." Bah hahahahahahaha!! But I keep teaching them the same idiom lesson: "once bitten, twice shy."   I'm not positive why they are so fascinating with my love life, but I think it's because as teenagers they cannot understand someone who isn't out searching for a partner.  After all, their lives are all about who is dating whom and who just broke up with who and all that other drama. The fact that someone chooses not to date and would rather be alone than in a crappy relationship doesn't compute.  I keep telling them: "Wait a few years.  You'll understand it better."  (Also, as I mentioned in my post from the other day, I'm in the "perpetually-romatically-challenged" category.  Always have been, always will be.)  :-D

See I just don't teach them reading and writing.  Life Skills 101!!!

3 comments:

Almost 50 by Alvin Blackshear said...

"If wishes were free, beggers would ride."

"It is the cheap man who spends the most."

"One the in hand is worth two in the bush."

"With one dollar, one man buys donuts, the other man buys insurance."

Sandi said...

Nice, Alvin. Never heard of a few of these!

Anonymous said...

Once bitten, twice shy proverb meaning
Once one is hurt by someone or something, one will be extra cautious to avoid that person or thing. I've learned my lesson from dating actors—once bitten, twice shy. The company's brief but disastrous attempt was enough for them to vow never to venture into the mobile phone market again. Once bitten, twice shy.

Once bitten, twice shy
Prov. When something or someone has hurt you once, you tend to avoid that thing or person. Jill: Let's go ride the roller coaster. Jane: No, thanks. I got really sick on one of those once—once bitten, twice shy. I once sent in money for something I saw advertised in the back of a magazine, but the merchandise was of such poor quality I was sorry I'd bought it. I'll never buy anything that way again; once bitten, twice shy.

Once bitten, twice shy
Once hurt, one is doubly cautious in the future, as in He was two days late last time, so she's not hiring him again-once bitten, twice shy. This seemingly old observation, presumably alluding to an animal biting someone, was first recorded in 1894.

Once bitten, twice shy or once bitten
You say once bitten, twice shy to mean that a bad experience makes you not want to become involved in a similar situation in the future. I'm certainly not looking for a new boyfriend. Once bitten, twice shy. Tokyo's punters, once bitten, twice shy, will not come rushing back for more.

Source: theidioms.com/once-bitten-twice-shy