Monday, March 11, 2013

An Amazing Moment Caught on Video!

An acquaintance shared the below video on Facebook. After watching it, I was so moved that I needed to pass it on.  Here's the background on the video:

Marina Abramović is a New York-based Serbian performance artist, who shared an intense love affair with West German performance artist, Ulay from the mid-70s through the late-80s.  In 1988, Marina and Ulay decided to end their relationship but ended it in a very unique way.  "Each of them walked the Great Wall of China, starting from the two opposite ends and meeting in the middle. As Abramović described it: 'That walk became a complete personal drama. Ulay started from the Gobi Desert and I from the Yellow Sea. After each of us walked 2500 km, we met in the middle and said good-bye.'" (Wikipedia) Wow, pretty mature way to end a relationship.

At her 2010 MoMa performance retrospective, The Artist is Present, as part of the show, Marina shared a minute of silence with each stranger who sat in front of her. Ulay arrived without her knowing and this is what happened:

I was speechless after watching that beautiful moment. Of course, my romantic sensibilities want this moment to be the start of a rekindled love affair. Additionally, I'm so mad at myself, because I was still living in NYC during this retrospective. It would have been an incredible performance to witness and I missed it. 

6 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, very intense. Thanks for sharing

Sandi said...

I weep every time I watch it.

Kim said...

Reminds me of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy in Before Sunrise & Before Sunset

Sandi said...

OMG, YES!! I hadn't even thought of that but you're right.

Kim said...

Did you know, they are making a third - "Before Midnight" OMG, I can't wait. :-)

Sandi said...

I had heard that. I'm very psyched! :-D