Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Fun Day in Albuquerque (GART - Stop 20)

Today, I woke up -- feeling like death warmed over and thinking that I might have to stay in bed all day. Fortunately, my plans to meet up with friends was for late morning and I manage to rally myself after resting for a couple of hours. Man, I'm going to be pissed if I have to cancel this trip before I get to California!

Anyway, today I spent the day with a few friends. Okay, one friend (Melody), her wife (Hannah), and their friend (Allyson), but now they are all my friends. It turned out to be an amazing and relaxing day. After meeting up with my friends, we decided to visit some artists' studio as part of the Albuquerque Museum's celebration of local artists. On three consecutive Saturdays in March, participating New Mexico artists will open their studios to the public; visitors will be asked to vote for the artists they would most like to see included in an exhibition at the Albuquerque Museum.

We started with visiting a studio (and home) of a friend of theirs. The neat thing about this first stop is that the couple designed and built their beautiful adobe house and artists studio in the back. It was stunning. We then moved onto another site in which three different artists shared the space. I found one artist to be particularly interesting. Jessamyn Lovell created an art project/book, entitled Dear Erin Hart. Ms. Lovell's identity was stolen and she created an art project in response to crimes Erin Hart committed using her name and identity. I was so interested in her project that I pre-ordered the book.

We decided that we had built up a hunger, so it was time to find some excellent New Mexican food. We traveled a few minutes away to Old Town. Old Town is a historic district in Albuquerque, which dates back to the founding of the city by the Spanish in 1706. Old Town comprises about ten blocks of historic adobe buildings grouped around a central plaza. Many of the buildings in Old Town are houses that have been converted into restaurants and small art and souvenir shops, so yes, it's very touristy. Lunch was at High Noon restaurant and I had one delicious enchilada. 

Seeing as how we were in Old Town and I am a tourist, we decided to spend a little time checking out Old Town. We visited a few shops, and made a stop in the historic church of San Felipe de Neri which was built in 1793.  Ordinarily, I'm pretty good at not purchasing stuff, but I tried on a Mexican baja hoodie and I couldn't resist the purchase. It was only $13, plus it looks good on me!

Check out my very limited photos from Albuquerque (only 10 photos) on my GART photo site. Tomorrow, Melody, Allyson and I will be traveling west of Albuquerque to visit a pueblo: Acoma. Originally, I had wanted to see Taos Pueblo but it's in the middle of its winter quiet time and is closed until mid-March, so Acoma it is. 
Fun photos from the day!
Current travel stats:

Carlsbad Caverns odometer mileage: 98,034
Odometer mileage in Albuquerque: 98,330
Miles driven to Albuquerque: 276
Total miles driven to date: 5,321
States driven through: New Mexico

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of my most favorite places is NM. I went to college at UNM, and still find part of NM to be very healing. Perhaps you could find a local Curandera to help with your symptoms. I hope you're able to build some strength and carry on with your trip. Your journey has been wonderful to follow. Thank you for sharing it. ~Jill