Monday, January 19, 2015

Packing For a Road Trip (GART)

Barring any unforeseen circumstances (i.e., getting unexpected results from my upcoming CT scan), I will be hitting the road this coming Saturday (January 24) for my Great American Road Trip. I've loosely planned the first three weeks - first stop is Richmond, VA where I will spend time with one of my dearest high school friends, before heading off to Charlotte, NC to see family (with a side trip to the Biltmore estate in Asheville). Next up will be Charleston, SC followed by Savannah, GA before heading to Boca Raton, FL where my brother, Tim lives. I'll spend about a week at my brother's - seeing high school friends and attending my niece's wedding. Then my brother, Tom and I will spend a week in Orlando visiting with Harry Potter and Mickey Mouse. After that I'm not certain where I'll head, but most likely Atlanta, GA, New Orleans, LA, and Memphis, TN.

Because this trip is getting mighty close, I've been contemplating and listing everything that I need to take for this trip. Packing for my GART is proving much more time consuming than packing for my trip to Europe, which consisted of a backpack for all my important and expensive items and a small suitcase for my clothing. 

First, there are the car essentials:
  • emergency road kit 
  • first aid kit
  • a small cooler (for water and snacks)
  • some bottled water
  • snacks
  • a gallon of water (for emergencies)
  • iTouch with lots of music and podcasts
  • paper towels, tissues, toilet paper, small garbage bags
  • wet wipes
  • road atlas (in case all electronics have a meltdown)
The car has been checked for roadworthiness and I have AAA for emergencies. That takes care of the car. But the list doesn't end there. There's my backpack and/or daybag which will be packed with:
  • iPhone
  • digital camera
  • laptop
  • Kindle
  • chargers for all electronics
  • a ton of batteries for the camera
  • medications
  • sunglasses
  • credit cards/ATM card/cash
Here's where it becomes a little more difficult. What to pack in my suitcase? Europe was easy because I knew that generally the weather was not going to be all that different. But thanks to the size of the United States, I will be leaving the cold north with 30 degree temperatures and heading to warmer climes, like Florida with their mid-70s to 80 degree weather. Do I take shorts? I didn't need shorts in Europe. Plus I need a wedding outfit (which I'll probably purchase in FL). Do I bring heels or flats? Such a dilemma, but I think my clothing plan will not be all that different than Europe. Here's what I've planned:
  • 3 pairs of yoga pants
  • 4 long sleeve shirts
  • 4 short sleeve shirts
  • 3 pairs of shorts
  • 2 sleep outfits
  • 1 robe
  • 1 cardigan
  • a winter jacket
  • hat, gloves, scarf
  • a week's worth of panties and socks
  • 3 bras
  • 1 pair of sneakers
  • 1 pair of ballet flats
  • toiletries
Of course, I'll be wearing yoga pants, a fleece, a shirt, and walking shoes when I set off. Fortunately, there are stores all over the United States that if I need to supplement this wardrobe, it can be easily tackled. Then I'll hit the laundromat when necessary. I think I've got my bases covered.

I plan to divvy up my clothing into two bags. The bulk of my clothing will be in a medium-sized suitcase for those times that I'm staying longer than overnight. Additionally, I will have a small overnight bag for those quick 1-night stops so I'm not dragging my whole world into a hotel.

What do you think? Am I missing anything? 

6 comments:

Jane said...

3 bras?

Unknown said...

Too many? Too few?

Jane said...

Too many! :-) When will you be in Newburyport.

Sandi said...

Probably not until April or May.

Jodi said...

I think I brought more clothes on my 7 day cruise. LOL. When are you coming to Buffalo?

Sandi said...

LOL. I like to travel light. I'm thinking May or June. Perhaps your snow will have melted by then. ;-)