Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I Really, Really Miss Teaching!

People who have never taught probably won't understand this post, but all my teacher friends will. When I left teaching for medical reasons last September, I knew that I would miss my wonderful students and amazing colleagues immensely. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about both of these groups and how much I miss being around them. But since September, I haven't given as much thought to the actual job of being a teacher, that is until these past couple of weeks.

You see, when I quit teaching, I was so busy planning and then going on my Grand Tour of Europe that I didn't spend much time thinking about my former career. As I said, I do think about my students and colleagues daily, but not the actual process of teaching. Since returning from Europe, I've had a lot of down time to think about my teaching career and I realize that I miss it very much. I miss standing in front of a class of 30 students trying to get them interested in reading. I miss encouraging them to be thinkers and creators. I even miss grading terribly written papers. 

As I was beginning my third year of teaching this past autumn, I finally felt that I had a grasp on how to be an effective teacher. I finally got my classroom set up perfectly and I was excited to be teaching the Third Year English curriculum. My students and I were going to have a spectacular year and then came the news of cancer growth and my decision to stop teaching in order to explore the world. There are days that I wonder if I made the right choice. I love traveling and am so grateful that I could spend two months traveling Europe. I'm looking forward to my upcoming Great American Road Trip, which I hope to start late next week, but there are days that I want my old life back...

I want to stand in my classroom, explaining to students that reading is actually beneficial to them. I want to sit with my teacher friends and colleagues who became my extended family. I want all 130 students coming into my classroom where I could perhaps teach them something new. I want to sit in my classroom during my planning period and just smile at the student work hanging on the wall. I want to walk the hallways and greet the students with a smile and a laugh. I want to go home after a long workday to my sweet apartment in Newburyport. I want my amazing kitty, Lotta greeting me as I walk through the door.

Okay, perhaps I'm a little sentimental today and making it seem like my high school was the perfect place in which to work. It wasn't. There are no perfect places/jobs/careers. It was incredibly long and exhausting hours, lost weekends of lesson planning and grading, lots of annoying paperwork, and oftentimes disheartening. It was the hardest job that I ever had. But it was also the best job that I ever had and I miss it so very much. 

Let's salute every teacher out there who is fighting the good fight. 
 

7 comments:

Marianne said...

I am certain that you could teach Tom a thing or two.

Tom said...

I'm unreachable and unteachable.

Steven said...

After hearing your teaching stories....I can say with full confidence that teaching really really misses you...those kids were lucky

Donna said...

Sandi students need you. Can you offer your expertise in writing to guide HS students close by ....

Sandi said...

I could but I'm only here another week and a half before hitting the road. It wouldn't be fair to start something I can't finish.

C. Ryan said...

I really miss you. I miss our lunches and exasperation over tough kids and classes, and sharing those great moments of success. Love you.

C. Ryan said...

I really miss you. I miss our lunches and exasperation over tough kids and classes, and sharing those great moments of success. Love you.