Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sometimes "Selfish Pigs" Are Humorous!

About 10 years ago, a friend turned me onto the genius of Andy Riley, "a British author, cartoonist, comics scriptwriter, and television screenwriter" (Wikipedia), by presenting me with a copy of The Book of Bunny Suicides: Little Fluffy Rabbits Who Just Don't Want to Live Any More (2003).  Okay, sick - I know, but really, really funny and creative. I then bought his subsequent books: Return of the Bunny Suicides (2004), Great Lies to Tell Small Kids (2006), and DIY Dentistry and Other Alarming Inventions (2009). All are really twisted, demented, black comedy cartoons - and I love them all!  Somehow I  missed his 2010 book, Selfish Pigs: Adorably Awful Little Swine, but had to get it when I saw it the other day. 

Synopsis:  "From the creator of The Book of Bunny Suicides comes the book you've been waiting for: Selfish Pigs. Filled with more than 90 pieces of line art depicting pigs being adorably selfish, this is a must-have for pig-lovers and Riley fans.

These are pigs who just don't care any more. They're nasty. They drink, they smoke, they steal, they eat pork and bacon, and they're strangely lovable while they do it. Do they metaphorically represent you and me when we're being bad? Or are they just horrible swine who don't give a damn about metaphors? You'll have to judge for yourself." (Amazon.com)

Review: I adore pigs and I love Andy Riley so it's a win-win situation for me. What else can I say? Cute pigs doing nasty things. Here's just a little idea of what the book is about (click photo to supersize it):
C'mon! Now that's some funny stuff. I admit it; I love it!  But I enjoy abnormal, deviant humor. I would highly recommend any of Andy Riley's books.  I know that this type of humor does not appeal to everyone. Only you will know whether or not it's the right humor for you. 

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: