Sunday, April 21, 2013

"Homeland" - a Powerful and Sophisticated Drama

Oddly enough, in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing, one would think that I would have had enough terrorism stories to last me for awhile and yet, for the past couple of days, I've been watching the Showtime original series, Homeland, and am finding it simply riveting. I only started watching the show because of the positive reviews that I had read. Plus, I figure that a show nominated for 9 Emmys and winner of 6 might just have something worth watching.

Plot summary: "Carrie Mathison (Emmy award winner Claire Danes), a CIA operations officer, is on probation after carrying out an unauthorized operation in Iraq. As a result, she has been reassigned to the Counter terrorism center. Whilst in Iraq, she was warned that an American prisoner had been turned by Al-Qaeda. When Nicholas Brody (Emmy award winner Damian Lewis), a U.S. Marine Sergeant, is rescued after being held hostage since 2003, she suspects that he is the turned American prisoner. Brody is received home as a war hero, so Carrie goes to any lengths possible, ignoring protocol, to catch him out."  (IMDB.com)  Carrie's investigation of Brody is complicated by her bipolar disorder and results in an obsession with her suspect.

Review: Due to the nature of the show, I wasn't entirely sure that I would like it, but I do. It's rare that an American show affects me as much as this compelling drama does. British shows-often; American-rarely! Homeland is spell-binding, packed with enough twists and turns to keep even a seasoned mystery writer wondering. Superb acting and a script that manages to avoid the usual clichés. But it's more than that. I spent the past two days trying to figure out why I'm so addicted to the show and it's probably because I feel a kinship with Carrie, as we have very similar characteristics - minus the bipolar disorder which I thankfully do not have. :-) But otherwise, we're very similar characters, sadly so. Carrie is not your typical heroine - she falls for the wrong man who leaves her heartbroken, feeling used and vulnerable; is unable to rid herself of the memories of him; is convinced she will be alone for her entire life; is competent, brilliant but damaged, impulsive, and highly emotional. Basically, a young, pretty, thin version of myself. She's been called an anti-hero but I'm not certain I agree with that description. But she is an unconventional heroine.

Homeland has an added bonus for me: this show also stars one of my all-time favorite actors, Mandy Patinkin. As usual, Patinkin practically steals the show. Being a HUGE Mandy Patinkin fan, if I had known that he was on the show, I might have started watching before now. Somehow I missed that bit of news. 

I'm about halfway through Season 2 and if nothing else, it's worth watching the series if for no other reason than to see Season 2, Episode 5: "Q&A". Superb dialogue supported by stellar performances! There are currently 2 seasons with a third scheduled to begin in September 2013. Give Homeland a viewing when you have some time! Unfortunately, Seasons 1 and 2 are not available for streaming on Hulu or Netflix.
Mandy Patinkin, Claire Danes, Damian Lewis and Morena Baccarin

No comments: