Saturday, April 6, 2013

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 19 (You Could Drive a Person Crazy)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix


Yesterday morning, on my way to school, I had accidentally set my iPod to randomly play whatever it desired and got quite a shock when I heard a certain song begin to play. Why? Because the singer was me! What the... holy cow! I had completely forgotten that I had placed on my iPod an album (Queen Bee) that I had self-produced a bazillion years ago... Okay, in reality it was a mere 13 years ago, which only FEELS like a bazillion. 

I decided to take a listen to the entire album and, even though I'm incredibly critical of myself, I had to admit it was a really fun romp through my former performer life. It made me a little homesick for those days... but just a little. I wouldn't change my current career because of how much I love teaching, but I will acknowledge that creating this album was tons of fun. I had the opportunity to work with some really fantastic people - like my incredibly talented friends Chris and John who were kind enough to join me in performing a couple of duets.

I thought I'd have some fun with one of the songs, "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" from Company and create a video for it (see below). This song is probably my favorite on the album for a few reasons. One, it's a Sondheim song.  Two, my voice coach (Steven), who is a musical genius, came up with a few changes to the song that are brilliant.  Three, it's another song for which anyone could apply to their personal lives (seriously, who has not felt this way). And four, it's just a really funny, fun song. Lyrics can be found here.  


If you're interested in hearing more of the album, you can always check it out on CD Baby, or Amazon, or iTunes. This is not a sales pitch. In fact, my friends can personal message me, if they're interested in receiving a copy and I will send the mp3s.  

I had way too much fun creating this video, so much so that I may do another one soon.

By the way - speaking of teaching, some new photos have been posted to My First Year of Teaching photo album.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Sandi, I still have a copy! :-) (Ira does too.)

Sandi said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! That's pretty awesome! <3 you both so much!

Kim said...

The Huggy Bear photo is hilarious!! Just perfect.

Sandi said...

:-)