Sunday, April 28, 2013

Friend, Acquaintance or .... ???

For the first time in my life, the dictionary has failed me! 

What do you call a person who is more than an acquaintance but less than a friend? Below is a list of all the terms I could think of to describe the people in our social lives:
  • friends
  • acquaintances
  • colleagues
  • neighbors
  • strangers
  • enemies
  • family
And yet, most of the people in my social life do not fit into any of these categories. I consider certain people to be more than an "acquaintance" but I wouldn't quite call them a "friend". What should we call those people? People that we're friendly with but do not consider them to be friends. Someone once suggested that I have a very narrow view of what I consider a friend and that's probably true, but I don't plan on changing my stance on what a friend is. Therefore, I need a new word.

Someone once coined the term "frenemy" - a mixture of friend and enemy.  Perhaps we can do something similar with acquaintances and friends. Acquaitends?  Fracquaints?  What do you think?

There's the added issue of how do I get people to start using my new term! I remember watching The Colbert Report when Stephen coined the term "truthiness" but I don't have a national television show.  He made it look so easy! (8 years later and this segment still cracks me up!)

4 comments:

Stacie said...

pal, buddy, chum...

Sandi said...

Synonyms of "friend". :-)

Stacie said...

what if we just call that category "kumquats"? That word isn't used nearly enough and could use an additional meaning.

:-)

Sandi said...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! You are a genius!