Thursday, September 15, 2011

Men and Emails!

I'm sure most women have come across this scenario time and time again.  Men are incapable of completely reading and responding to emails accurately.  I know I am asking perhaps too much here, but I would like for men to be similar to women in certain aspects, such as general communication skills, but they are not.  They are just configured differently from women.  For example, today I sent an email to a sales rep where I'm on temporary assignment asking him a few questions.  He only actually answered the first question.  See below:

The message:
Do you want the product sheets on white cardstock?  How many should be printed?  When do you need delivery?
The response:
Yes.
Erm...yeah... Not exactly helpful.  I believe he read as far as "do you want the product sheets on white cardstock" and he responded "yes" to that and just ignored the rest of my message.  Similarly, I asked another co-worker if he wanted to go with plan A or plan B and he responded "yes."  Yeah, again, not helpful.  I notice that this phenomenon only happens with men.  Women tend to actually read entire emails and answer all questions posed to them.  By the way, this issue is not limited to just this current company.  In fact, it has been occurring from time immemorial.  I'm sure that in the Garden, Eve asked Adam if he wanted apples or oranges and he responded "yes." So Eve gave him an apple.

You would think that after 45 years of communicating with men, I'd be used to it. But alas, not so. It's sad.  What should be answered in a single email ends up being a flurry of emails. Because they do not completely read messages, one ends up having to go back and ask follow up (repeat) questions.  I wonder if they communicate like this with each other?? 

Gentlemen: I beg of you, please, please, please take the extra 30 seconds to completely read your emails.  I promise that we do not ask questions just to waste time.  We really do need answers to the questions posed.  Thanks!  [Serious doubts that this plea will ever be read.  I probably should have put it as the first line, instead of the last.]