Monday, September 12, 2011

"I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar!"

 
 
Helen Reddy knew what she was talking about 40 years ago when she co-wrote "I Am Woman." Women are amazing, strong, incredible humans.  I was reminded of these attributes tonight as I was surrounded by 8 resilient, feisty, creative, interesting women.  When I moved to Newburyport, I started looking for opportunities to get involved in my local community, especially if it was in an area of which I had much interest.  Early summer, I saw that the Newburyport Literary Festival was looking for committee members and it seemed exactly what I was looking for. Tonight, we had our first meeting of the committee.  It was there that I met these 8 remarkable woman.  It has been a long time since I worked with a group of women and I forgot how inspiring that can be.  In a male dominated society such that we live in, it's a rarity that any group is solely made up of all women.  Now don't get my wrong.  I am not a man-hater.  I love men.  Some of my best friends are men, but there's something empowering about being a part of a group of women. 

Yes, we are loud and we all talk at the same time and we laugh... a lot!  But we also get things done.  We are committed to the tasks at hand and strive to give 100% to whatever these tasks may be.  And we have fun while doing it.  Thank you, my new found friends, for reminding how great it is to be a woman and for inspiring me.

 
"...If I have to, I can do anything..."

No comments: