Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Artist's Way Takes Commitment!

No, I don't mean the book, which just is a load of new age tripe. What I'm talking about is the actual work of being an artist, whether it be performing or creative.  Being an artist is all about being committed to the work, as my dear friend, brilliant actor and acting coach, Warren Kelley would say. After being away from performing for as long as I have been, I've forgotten how much work really goes into creating a fully rounded character.  

Now that's what I call commitment!
I was recently cast in a one-act play and even though it's a minor (although powerful) role, I still need to put in tons of work creating a backstory for this character - why she is the way she is, how she got where she got, etc. But the problem for me is I'm a little lazy right now. I'd rather go out and enjoy the lovely autumn weather or spend time with friends than siting on my couch studying my lines and creating this backstory. Uta Hagen would have lost all respect for me. I think though that my momentary laziness with this task is due to the infrequent rehearsal schedule. Instead of having 3 weeks of rehearsals 2-3 times per week, the schedule is once a week over a period of 6 weeks. Really? That's just too much time in between rehearsals to keep my interest up. My initial excitement over being cast has waned a bit because after our initial read through, we had a 2 week break. So the question is how do you stay committed to the work when you're away from it? I have actor friends who have their entire scripts memorized before even starting rehearsals (Warren!). I have until Thursday to get my lines memorized. If I buckle down for an hour, I can get it done, but I need to commit myself to doing it! The backstory has been percolating and I have most of it done - although I keep changing it daily! She's a complex character - much like myself!    

Despite all that, this show should be interesting.  Therefore - in act of blatant self promotion - if you are planning to be in Newburyport on October 21 (8pm), 22 (8pm) or 23 (5pm), drop by the The Actor's Studio of Newburyport located at The Tannery at 75 Water Street and catch Marc's Shorts, a evening of 16 short plays, all written by Marc Clopton.  I will be performing in one of these plays, entitled Perhaps - a one-act about 6 recovering addicts during a group therapy session. It's a very intense but fascinating play.  (Yes, I'm playing an addict.)  Reservations can be made by calling: 978.463.1229.  Send me a message if you would like further information.

No comments: