Saturday, August 23, 2014

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 36 (I Don't Wanna Love Somebody Else)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

Damn, I made a mistake back in February! Whenever I become aware that I err, I feel the need own up to it. I've even been known to apologize when I haven't erred. Therefore, when I discovered my mistake from the February 5, 2014 posting, I wanted to right a wrong.

That posting was about the musical group A Great Big World, which I had just discovered. Just a reminder: "Formed in 2002 by singers/songwriters Ian Axel and Chad Vaccarino, A Great Big World is an American musical group from New York." The song I featured that day was their hit song "Say Something" off of their debut album Is Anybody Out There? and that where I made my mistake.

Yesterday, I was listening to the album on my way home from work and found myself in tears while listening to the album (always a dangerous thing when driving!!). The song that caused this emotional outburst was the runner up to the featured song in February, but it's such a beautiful song that it deserves a posting all on its own. Why did I decide this? For several reasons: first the song is an unabashedly romantic and beautifully melancholic ballad built on a lush instrumental bed of guitar and strings. Second, the warm falsetto infused vocals is thrilling. Third, Ian's emotional connection to the lyrics is one of the best that I've ever heard. He's been through this type of heartbreak. And finally, it's my life story.

Without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, I present "I Don't Wanna Love Somebody Else" (lyrics):

No comments: