Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 28 (Say Something)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

It's been well over a year since I discovered a new (at least to me) musician/group that I could feature in my Music Doesn't Lie series, but today, while hanging out on the couch watching great big gobs of white crap fall from the sky, I came across A Great Big World. Formed in 2002 by singers/songwriters Ian Axel and Chad Vaccarino, A Great Big World is an American musical group from New York. This group has been featured on shows that I don't watch (i.e., Glee, One Tree Hill, The Amazing Race, etc.), which is why I had never heard of them before today.  A friend posted on Facebook the lyrics to "Say Something" and I liked the lyrics enough to check out the song. Bam! I found a new group that I adore.

Yes, this group is in the pop/rock genre, which is one of my favorite genres. If you're not into pop/rock, this album probably won't speak to you. But I just loved every song on their debut album Is There Anyone Out There?, which was released on January 21, 2014. I am looking forward to hearing more from this talented duo.

Picking my favorite song from this album is very difficult. There are just so many great songs. There's  "Everyone Is Gay" which made me laugh out loud when I first heard it. "Rockstar" and "Land of Opportunity" have a great beat and wonderful lyrics. "Land of Opportunity" is particularly interesting with moving lyrics about the sadness of a lost love which contradicts the pop sound of the music. "Already Home", "Say Something", and "I Don't Wanna Love Somebody Else" are beautiful ballads and have already been added to my catharsis playlist (which has been severely updated in the past week). For me, 13 songs and 13 hits on a debut album is pretty significant! 

Which to feature??? Tough one, but I'm going to go with "Say Something" (lyrics), which eked out "I Don't Wanna Love Somebody Else" (lyrics) by an extremely narrow margin.  There are two versions of "Say Something" - one with just the band and one that has the addition of Christina Aguilera. I am not a Christina Aguilera fan at all, but the addition of her harmonies to the original song just makes it that much more special. (It should be noted that I find it hard to watch Christina in the video (below) because she does some weird things with her body, but the song is to die for.)

2 comments:

Sheri Howe said...

LOVE this song! I met Ian a few years ago (he was a friend of some guys I worked with) and used to go see him sing solo at Rockwood Music Hall and other venues. Check out his solo song -"Afterglow". :-)

Sandi said...

Wow, that's so cool. I will check out his solo song. Thanks!