Sunday, May 25, 2014

Why Real Books Are Better Than E-Readers!

Welcome to the third (and most likely final) installment on why books rock this world! I started with why books are better than people, then followed it up with why books are better than movies. This posting is slightly different because it's comparing two different ways of reading. Much to my chagrin, I actually own a Kindle, but did not purchase it. It was a gift so I kept it and have used it...sparingly. You see, I believe that traditional paper books are the best for numerous reasons, but I would prefer people use e-readers (i.e., Kindles, Nooks, etc.) than not be reading at all. 

That being said, here are the 10 reasons that real books are better than e-readers:
  1. Better bathtub reading: As I mentioned in an earlier post, books are practically indestructible (stay away from fire!). Because of their indestructibility, books are the perfect companion when soaking in a tub. First of all, an e-reader will fog up from the steam. Then what happens if your Kindle falls into the tub, you can kiss it goodbye. On the other hand, accidentally drop a book in the tub, blow it dry and it's good as new.
  2. Better airplane companions: When I travel, I have my nose in a book the entire time. From sitting in the waiting area, to waiting to take off, through take off, flight, and finally landing. Can you do that with your Nook? Nope, you need to turn off your e-reader while taking off and landing. What if you've just reached the most tantalizing part of the book? No, need to worry about that with a traditional book.
  3. Better outdoor reading: Oh, man, ever try reading an e-book outside? It's the worse. The screen goes dark or there's a glare from the sun and now you are stuck on the beach or floating in the pool with nothing to read! Books can be read anywhere at anytime!
  4. Better household decorations: What will you fill your bookcases up with? E-readers? I mean there are so many varieties of e-readers, therefore I suppose you could but talk about uninspiring décor. No, it's definitely better to fill those bookcases up with real books. So much better ambiance.
  5. Antique books are amazing: Whenever I hit the local used bookstore or antique shop, I always am on the lookout for old printings of my favorite books. I have several older publications of Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice (one was published over 100 years ago; none are 1st editions sadly) and each one has a different look and feel. They all have been well loved and are careworn – and I love them! There will never be a first edition of an e-book. Simple as that.
  6. Book signings: Ever try to get your e-book signed by the author. You'd have to purchase many, many e-readers if that's the case. Getting books autographed by the author is a delight, which they can do with traditional books, but they cannot physically sign an e-book.
  7. Libraries and bookstores: I know many people think that libraries and bookstores are going the way of the dodo, but true bibliophiles know the importance of these two entities. The smell of all that paper and knowledge in one room is almost too much to handle. These majestic places wouldn’t even exist without books! We need to save these institutions.
  8. Finishing long books: One of the most rewarding feelings is when you get to the end of a book, but even more so when you finish a nearly thousand page tome (like Little Dorrit, Les Misérables, or Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). Turning that last page and closing the book is majestical. Somehow, flicking your finger across the screen to discover you've reached the conclusion is so anti-climactic.
  9. Awesome tattoos: When was the last time you saw someone with a Nook tattooed on them? Exactly. You haven’t, because books are cooler.
  10. Books don't die: Pages may fall out and covers may get ripped, but books won’t just die on you. There is nothing more frustrating than getting to a juicy part of a story and having your e-reader’s battery die. Printed books won’t fail you.
Adding to this list, nothing is better than the smell and feel of a traditional book. It's just hands down a better experience. The only point that I give to e-readers over books is that you can take many more e-books with you on vacation and not have to leave behind half your wardrobe in order to bring them. Still, I believe that I've made a solid argument why people should continue to purchase real books. They’re prettier, easier to manage, and provide us with stories without having to be powered up. Long live the printed word!
These tattoos are in the running for my next tat!

4 comments:

Tom said...

I can't improve upon this one. Very well put. I agree. I don't own a kindle or a nook. I do have several ebooks that I have read on my laptop.

Tania said...

totally agree! :-)

Sandi said...

Yay!! Glad I'm preaching to the choir! :-D

Tom said...

1st pew, 2nd seat, baritone reporting to sing!