Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Tonight Show is Back!

I can hear you all saying, "But Sandi, The Tonight Show has never gone away." For me it did, on May 22, 1992, when Johnny Carson said "goodbye" and handed the reins over to the unfunny, untalented, and annoying Jay Leno. After that date, The Tonight Show was dead to me. I stopped watching it and found other shows far more entertaining and interesting to watch; i.e., The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Late Show with David Letterman.

But I am so happy to report that after only a little more than a month of the hilarious, smart, and gracious Jimmy Fallon hosting the longest running entertainment show, it is better than ever! I still miss Johnny, Ed McMahon, and Doc Severinsen, but Jimmy has taken this show and returned it to its former glory from the Carson days. Some of my favorite highlights of the past couple of weeks are: Jimmy's $100 bet, Kevin Bacon's Footloose Entrance, the lip sync battle between Jimmy and Paul Rudd, the history of rap with Jimmy and Justin Timberlake (is there anything that JT can't do?), and the evolution of hip-hop dancing with Jimmy and Will Smith. There are so many more, but I can't list all 25 (to date) episodes. I'm not sure how Jimmy will be able to continue to match some of the fantastic bits that he's already done, but I can't wait to see.

Perhaps my favorite is the 6 part harmony duet that Jimmy and Billy Joel sang of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (see video below). Two of my favorite entertainers are having a best time. Pretty amazing and puts a smile on my face every time I watch it! 

5 comments:

Tom said...

Meh.

Sandi said...

Meh? Really?

Tom said...

I haven't seen the Tonight Show in 25 years. And I've never been that big of a fan of Fallon.

Sandi said...

Did you watch any of the links that I posted? You might change your mind.

Tom said...

Not yet. I will.