Tuesday, February 11, 2014

It's Okay to be Smart!

I keep hearing that "smart is the new sexy".  If that were the case, I'd be on the cover of Vogue magazine. But so far, Anna Wintour has not been knocking my door. As I'm partially terrified that I'm going to end up like my mother - with Alzheimers, I like to keep learning new things, which I hear will keep the dementia at bay. 

To that end, I've been on a science kick of late. Yesterday, a posting from PBS hit my newsfeed on Facebook. It was a link to a PBS Digital Videos YouTube site, called It's Okay to be Smart. The specific video link was about The Science of Kissing, which explains the science behind why we feel need to smooch. It's a really fascinating video.

It's Okay to be Smart is "is a blog and a YouTube show about science. But it’s probably not about science the way you’re used to it" (from the blog site). It's the brainchild of Joe Hanson, Ph.D. biologist and host/writer of PBS Digital Studios.

After watching that first video about the Science of Kissing, I set out to watch as much of the entire series that I could. The videos are not only informative and interesting, but Dr. Hanson is amusing. Some of my favorite videos are How Science Defines a Year, The Science of Snowflakes, and The Odds of Finding Life and Love.

I decided to post the video that I found to be the most fascinating. It's called Amazing Animal Superpowers and Dr. Hanson shows how art really does imitate life. If you have ever wondered where comic book writers get their ideas for their superheroes, perhaps it's from watching the animal kingdom and some of the weird and wonderful things that they can do. Check it out - engage your brain!

3 comments:

Tom said...

Owwwieee! I just engaged my brain and hurt myself. [Picking his nose with one hand and scratching his butt with the other.]™ I don't know why I would want to trademark that statement. Must be I'm so freaking smart...or demented. I definitely need to check out this site on the computer thingy.

Sandi said...

Oh no! How long are you going to be out of commission now that you've engaged your brain? Do you need hospitalization or just a couple of days rest at home?

Tom said...

A full lobotomy will cure it. Matter of fact I'd qualify to be elected governor to a red state.