Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"Life is One Crisis After Another"

Other than the Great Emancipator, you won't find me often quoting Republican presidents, given my complete loathing of that party. But due to yet another crisis which loomed its ugly head over me, I have been contemplating the above quote attributed to Richard Nixon and how accurate it is for many people - myself included. His entire quote is:
"Life isn't meant to be easy. It's hard to take being on the top--or on the bottom. I guess I'm something of a fatalist. You have to have a sense of history, I think, to survive some of these things. . . . Life is one crisis after another."
While Nixon was the creator of some of his crises, he certainly knew a thing or two about constant pressures. The quote is definitely apropos to his life, but it echoes the lives of so many people. Frustratingly, I have a hard time coming to grips with how a select few of lucky people go through life with almost no stress or major life disasters, and others seem to have one major catastrophe after another. While I am completely aware that life is not fair, why does it feel so unbalanced? For the unlucky ones, it seems like just when you think you have a handle on your most recent major life emergency and will have a period of relative calm, another crisis is dumped unceremoniously in your lap and you have to jump over yet another hurdle.

I don't actually have any answer for this phenomenon but it is just an observation through the examination of my and my friends' and family's lives. But I find it really annoying and disheartening.  I just want to scream to the mountaintops: "Can I just get a break for once!?"

Do you concur with my conclusion? What are your thoughts on the subject?

No comments: