Saturday, December 7, 2013

Confucius is a Big, Fat Liar!

Okay, the title of this posting might be a bit extreme, but I saw a quote attributed to the Chinese teacher, philosopher, and political theorist, Confucius (551-479 BC) which read:

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

And all I could think at the time: "He's a big, fat liar!"

Normally, I find most of Confucius's quotes inspirational, but I have a problem with this specific quote. It's abundantly clear that Confucius never worked as a high school teacher in an inner-city school. Because while I do love my job, I have never had to work as hard as I am working this year. People who are not educators probably won't understand this rather strange phenomenon but it is universally known that the second year of teaching is twice as hard as the first year. One would think that it should get easier and eventually (I hear) it does. But oddly enough, every veteran teacher that I speak with all say the same thing: the second year of teaching is infinitely harder than the first year. It's no wonder that "[n]early 50 percent of new teachers leave the profession within their first five years." (NCTAF.org).  I would estimate that I spend more than half of my days in my classroom being appalled, disgusted, frustrated, and disillusioned by the behavior of my students; not to mention my current deplorable passing rate of ~30%. So why do I keep going back? Because I genuinely love what I do. (Although, when I recently discovered that metastatic cancer is considered a disability and I could be sitting on my couch collecting a check from the government, I did think "hmmmmm.")

Therefore, with all due respect to Confucius and while I thank him for his many words of wisdom, I cannot actually say that the above quote is accurate. 

I do like this quote!

3 comments:

Lee said...

♥♡♥ I agree.....it took me a few years to get to a point when I wasn't working 50+ hours a week..... we do it because we want our kids to be successful. ...the frustration is when we see ourselves working harder for them then they are willing to work for themselves. But trust me....when we DO reach them.....and we all have....it gives us the reinforcement / encouragement we need to teach on........ love ya my friend. I'm here if you ever need to vent.

Sandi said...

It's nice to know that I have so many teachers in my life who understand my frustrations. Fecking Confucius can bite me! ;-)

Tom said...

F*** Confucius he was never an Accountant either.