Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"The Fault in Our Stars" - A Moving Portrayal of Young Love and Cancer

You might ask: "Sandi, why would you read a book about a teenage terminal cancer patient?" Welllllll...I can't really give a good answer to that question.

Two weeks ago, at the insistence of my principal, a colleague of mine came laden with a half a dozen books when I was in hospital. Today, I decided to check out the books and pick one to read. When another colleague and friend saw that I had received The Fault in Our Stars by young adult fiction author John Green, she recommended that I avoid reading the book for the time being due to the subject matter. Today I was in a contrarian mood, so I decided to go against that advice and I am I glad that I did. Otherwise, I might have missed out on reading such a wonderful novel.

Synopsis:  "Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love." (Amazon.com)

Review: I have to admit, even though I'd heard this book was really good, the thought of a young adult novel about teenagers with cancer didn't really appeal to me - go figure. Initially, I was somewhat taken aback by this novel - everyone talks in a razor-sharp, ultra witty way that feels straight out of an Aaron Sorkin show and not even remotely how any 16 or 17 year old I know speaks. Due to this snappy dialogue, I feared that it was going to be all style without substance, bouncing along until a requisite tear-jerking conclusion.  I was wrong.

This is a book peopled with a group of characters that you really care about. At its core are the star-crossed lovers, Hazel (with terminal cancer) and Augustus (a cancer survivor). They meet at a cancer support group and become close, despite Hazel's desire to avoid becoming a "grenade" in anybody's life - by which she means someone who will unwittingly cause significant hurt through their passing. They are fantastically loveable characters, who flit between deep conversations about the meaning of life and finding refuge in video games and reality TV shows.

But the book is more than that. It's about coming to terms with the fact that your life will almost certainly never rise above insignificance. Yes, you will matter to your family and friends, but ultimately you probably won't make any life changing impact on the world. It's about the way we shrink from people with terminal disease only to laud them when they pass. It's about the impact that terminal diseases have on the families of those left behind. It's about teenagers growing up and learning to take responsibility for their own lives, defining themselves by who they are not what disease they may have.

Is this novel life changing? Probably not, but it's definitely a moving, entertaining, irreverent, and thought provoking book. Pretty hard combination to pull off. Kudos to John Green.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

mskmber said...

My daughters adored this book so much , they told me I had to read it. I did. So good. So very good.

Sandi said...

Agreed. So good, so very good!

Lee said...

After reading your review, my dear friend, I believe I have found my first book for summer reading! (Thanks for sharing) Btw- as far as "not making a significance difference in people's lives".... I truly believe that we all leave a mark in each others lives... we learn from one another.... we are forever changed by the people we connect with... whether we stay connected for a few weeks, few months, or years.... And as educators.... I think we make a huge impact.... Based on the letters from your "kids"... I see you already have.... keep up the great work, my friend! Love you!!!!

Sandi said...

I will be interested in what you think about the novel. Oh and by not making significant difference - I meant that in the text one character wants to make a impact on the world, which for 99.9% of the population it's not going to happen. So yes, I agree as educators we make impact on our students but do we make a huge impact on the world. No - just our little corner of it. Love you too!!!