Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Great Gadgets!

Go-Go-Gadget-Go!!  (Anyone remember that?)  Anyway, lately I've purchased a few gadgets that I simply must rave about.  While they haven't changed my life, they have certainly improved it in a myriad of ways.  I've listed these in no particular order.

1.  The Hamilton Beach Personal Blender with Travel Lid:  This fantastic little personal blender has been a wonderful new new addition to my kitchen.  In the past, as I mixed up a protein shake for breakfast, I'd be annoyed at how the blender bottles with the whisk-type ball would never fully mix the protein powder.  I'm not a fan of gritty tasting beverages.  A couple of months ago, while wandering through a local store, I saw this little personal blender on the shelf and thought that seeing as how the price was so reasonable, I'd give it a go.  This little blender is amazing, as long as you don't try to add anything too dense to the mix - like ice cubes.  Probably if you break up the ice into smaller pieces or if you're lucky enough to have a crushed ice dispenser in your fridge, it'll work okay, but otherwise regular-sized ice cubes jam up the blades. If you add softer foods (like bananas, strawberries, peanut butter, etc.), the shake mixes like a charm and makes this blender a must for any kitchen.  It has the added bonus of having a travel lid so you can just mix and go. Awesome. And clean up is a breeze! Word of warning, take the instructions seriously when it says to "pulse" the switch.  If you just hold the switch down for longer than 30 seconds, you'll burn out the motor - the only downside to this gadget.

2.  Presto PopLite Hot Air Corn Popper:  Okay, I admit it - I was a little freaked out when I read about the possible cancer risks with microwave popcorn - a favorite snack.  Now, I know that it's been linked to those who work in the popcorn factories and my risk of exposure is pretty small, but...  So again, I was wondering through a local store and saw this lovely little hot air popper sitting on the shelf.  (Okay, I admit it - I'm an impulse buyer.  Don't judge me.)  But, this air popper is fantastic.  Instead of spending $5 for a box of 3 microwave popcorn bags ($1.66 per bag), I can buy a entire bag of kernels at the incredibly low price of $2.00, which will last through sixteen poppings in the air popper ($0.13 a serving).  It's really a no brainer. It also has a handy dandy measuring cup/butter melter - which I actually have never used, but I'm sure works wonders.  I don't add butter to my popcorn.  While I love buttered popcorn, I don't want to add the extra calories.  On the rare occasion when I'm looking for something different in my popcorn, I use the Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning.  The nacho cheddar cheese flavor is delicious - which also works great on veges - and adds all of 2 calories per serving!  I probably work that off just walking to and from the kitchen. 

3.  The Step F1004 Step Workout System:  You may be thinking: "Why, Sandi, how very 1990s of you?"  And you'd be partially correct.  Yes, step aerobics is a throw back to the early '90s but it is seriously one of the hardest workouts that I've ever endured. I loathe going to the gym and needed a home workout that I could do during inclement/cold weather and would commit to.  A friend suggested step aerobics and I thought I'd give it a go. Before purchasing this step, I noticed that other reviewers complained about the length of this step, which is a valid point.  This is a pretty small step (about 2/3rds the size of ones found in the gym) so it would definitely be a better fit for a shorter person (like myself), although even I find it even a little too short and wish it were slightly longer.  Even though it's made purely from plastic, this little stepper is a trouper. It's sturdy and easy to store away. The dvd that comes with it (Cathe Friedrich's Basic Step + Body Fusion DVD) is a little difficult at first - especially for someone new to step aerobics but after going through it about 2 or 3 times, the routine becomes easy to follow and gives a good workout. It makes for a nice change from power walking and bike riding. Plus it's fantastic for rainy, cold, or snowy days when it's just too awful to workout outside.

4.  Step Reebok The Video: I like to break up my workout routines occasionally so I don't get bored and on the advice of a friend who raved about this workout, I purchased this dvd.  (By the way, I think this friend is ever so slightly a masochist/sadist because this is a seriously brutal workout.)  This workout is the first step aerobics video ever - developed in 1992 by the step guru, Gin Miller! I first checked it out on YouTube and believed that it would be a good, but relatively easy workout. Boy was I wrong about that! This is one tough workout. The nice thing about this video is that you don't have to be a dancer to do the steps. Very basic steps with lots of coordinating arm movements, which were a little difficult at first to get down pat. But as with most workouts after a few viewings, I can follow the instructions with ease.  Gin's cuing is spot on and the 'live' drumming is awesome.  What's really fun about this video is how retro it is - with the music and fashion. I mean who is wearing Reebok hi-tops with slouch socks anymore??  The set and lights make me think of my time spent in clubs back in the late 80s/early 90s.  It's a nice throw back to my youth. Seriously though, this is a great workout. Although I first tried it with the platform on the lowest setting and found the workout too easy. But by raising the platform up, I got a disgustingly, sweat-filled, heart pounding workout. (Is that TMI?)  The other thing that I like about Gin Miller's workout is that it's very militaristic. I hate the overly perky exercise gurus (like Cathe Friedrich).  I'm annoyed that I have to workout and I would prefer someone not being irritatingly cheerful about it.  Gin's style is perfect for me.  Mostly it's her saying "Do it again" or "Again."  I don't want to hear, "are we having fun?"  I say "no" when I hear one of those perky exercise queens say that.

[Follow up on 4/26/12:  I have discovered some interesting facts about step aerobics.  The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness published a study that found step aerobics significantly raised the HDL-cholesterol levels (the 'good' cholesterol) of the participants in the study.  Soooo, if I'm ever teased about doing step aerobics, I'll show them my awesome cholesterol levels and say "In your face."]

These are just a few of my most recent acquisitions that I wanted to rave about.  All excellent products that were well worth the money I plunked down.

No comments: