Sunday, April 8, 2012

Career Change: The Test Results

When last we left the career change postings, I had just taken the Massachusetts Tests for Education Licensures (MTELs).  Now it's time to post the test results.  First off, let me explain briefly how the test results are given.  In order to pass the MTELs, the test taker needs to score a 240 or above on a scale of 100 to 300.  There are two possible results:  (i) "Met the Qualifying Score (which means that you've scored a 240 or better; they don't actually give you the score); or (ii) "Did Not Meeting the Qualifying Score - ###" (in which they actually give you your test score 100-239).  I can't imagine scoring a 239.  That would be the worse.

I was notified of the test score for the Literacy and Communications Test on March 21, 2012 and received a "Met the Qualifying Score."  So, yes - I passed!!  It seems from the additional information provided, I scored quite well. Out of the 10 multiple choice sections, I answered 6 of the sections with "most or all items correct" and "thoroughly" answered the two writing compositions.  I was ecstatic with these results, but I will admit with all humility that I wasn't too surprised that I passed.

On April 7, 2012, I received the score for the English subject test and, much to my surprise, I passed!  Again, I don't know what the actual score was but a received another "Met the Qualifying Score."  From the information provided, I answered "many of the items correctly" on the multiple choice section and only gave the two writing compositions "limited" answers.  Whoops.  Oh well, even if I scored a 240, all that matters is that I passed.  I will say that I was unbelievably gobsmacked that I did pass. I thought for sure that I had failed the test and even kept all my study materials out in case I needed to retake the test.  I can now put them away.  That's the good news.

The bad news:  I've been asked by Teach for America to take one more MTEL in May.  I was given a couple of choices (Spec. Ed., ESL or History) and I choose to sign up to take English as a Second Language, which if I pass will definitely be a positive career tool.  The annoying part is that I now have to spend the next month attempting to study something on my own that I've never studied at all.  I will say this makes me even more nervous.  Unlike the English test where I at least had 4 years of studying literature to get me through, I have zero knowledge of teaching ESL.  <shrugs>  I'll just have to do the best I can and hope for the best.

Otherwise, the only other tasks being completed are a few interviews at various schools and an FBI background check (I was going to put an inappropriate comment here, but I'd be afraid that someone wouldn't take it as a joke so I'll resist). 

No comments: