Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Stargazers Tale!

One of my favorite pastimes is stargazing. I fondly remember, while living in the suburbs, hanging out with friends in backyards, flopped on our backs, chatting and watching the stars. We would challenge everyone to try to find all the constellations: Cassiopeia, the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper, Orion, Andromeda, etc.  Then I moved to New York City. Ever try to stargaze in NYC? You're correct - it's impossible. Thanks to the skies being light-polluted, the tall buildings which block off views of the firmament, and the fact that spending time in poorly lighted, unpopulated areas is not considered a smart thing to do. Therefore, there's very limited opportunity to stargaze, other than taking trips to the Hayden Planetarium, which I think I only did once or twice in my 17 years in NYC.

Why do I mention this?  Tonight, I was feeling a little claustrophobic in my apartment and decided to take a stroll to the library to return a book and pick up a new one. I happened to look up to see the most gorgeous night sky: a near full moon and tons of stars visible. I had nearly forgotten how amazing the night sky can be. I took a seat on a bench near the library and just gazed at the lovely night sky. Into my head popped the following nursery rhyme:
"Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight."

Now I haven't wished upon a star in 35 years, after I realized that it never worked. If it had, I would have gotten the Barbie Dream House that I wished for time and time again.  Still I decided to be a little silly tonight and made my wish, just for old time's sake. Don't ask me what I wished for because it's a secret. When was the last time you wished upon a star? That long ago, huh?? Well, get up off your couch, go to the window and make your wish. Just a little reminder that it's okay to be silly sometimes.

I did not wish for this!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My wife and I work to recreate similar kinds of stargazing scenes that will appear in the family bedroom or tv room in people's homes. The excitement never seems to stop - making stern old men - as giddy as they were at their 8th birthday party ... calming the autistic child's mind ... mostly invisible ... until the lights are turned out at night and the stars come out to be admired ... night after night. You can have 6' to 12' portals into space, the entire ceiling or a full room enwrapment to truly have your bed as if it was in a crater on the moon ... as you drift off to sleep every night. A Painter of Dreams - http://stars2012.com 304 581-4051