Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Profile in Courage!

Today, I read a very moving and inspiring article in my local newspaper about a local high school senior who has participated in 12 seasons of cross country and track. Why is that feat so impressive? The student being profiled has cerebral palsy and his doctors told his parents that he would be unlikely to ever walk, never mind run. Sean Mitchell is an inspiration for all of us about overcoming adversity. He went from a 60 minute 5k in his first race to a 27 minute 5k in his final race. Now that's an amazing accomplishment! He didn't allow his 'physical limitations' to stop him from participating in an activity that he truly loves. What does that say about the rest of us 'healthy' people?

Many people, myself included, often forget just how fortunate we are because we get bogged down by the minutiae of our lives and don't consider the big picture. It's easy to get frustrated by all the things we don't have or need or want and even easier to forget all the great things we do have. No, our lives are not perfect - does anyone have a perfect life? If you say "yes," then you're either very, very lucky or very forgiving or delusional. The parts of my life that I'm thankful for are: excellent friends, my health, my humor, my intelligence and a loving, lovely kitty cat. That's more than many people have and I am grateful for all of it. Today, I challenge you to make a list of all the things that make your life a fulfilling one and remind yourself how blessed you truly are. 

I found #2&7 to be particularly relevant!


No comments: