Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Lives of Gen X'ers in "One Day"

Now that the weather and the clocks have changed, you will notice an increase in book reviews. Reading is the best winter activity!! (It definitely beats sliding down a snow-covered hill, at 20 mph, strapped to 2 pieces of wood, screaming at the top of my lungs and face planting into a pile of snow.)

I had seen advertising for the movie, One Day, starring Ann Hathaway and Jim Sturgiss and found the premise interesting. What I found even more interesting was that it was originally a novel.  As I nearly always try to read the book before watching the movie, I patiently waited for this book to be available at my local library.  It well worth the wait!

"It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. The both know that the next day, after college graduation, they must go their separate ways. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day (July 15th) of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself." (From the publisher)  Set predominantly in London, the twenty years of Dex and Em spans a lifetime of memories from births to deaths, relationship happiness and disappointments, marriages and divorces, career successes and failures, but at the heart of it all is an everlasting friendship and love that these two people have for each other.

Anyone who has ever had a person with whom they share a special bond will appreciate this book. But if you were born anywhere between the mid-60s and the early 70s, One Day by David Nicholls will be extra special as it follows the time span of Generation X. It will bring back memories of clubbing in the 80s and 90s, the heady days of drinking and drugging, the birth of cell phones and cds, and the pitfalls and triumphs of aging during the 80s, 90s and 2000s. These are characters and situations that I related to quite well. In fact, I almost felt like David Nicholls had read my diary and wrote a book about my life. Scary! Filled with witty British dialogue and unforgettable characters, One Day is a triumph. For anyone not terribly familiar with England, you might not quite understand some of the references, but the storyline is ultimately very relatable as relationships are essentially the same anywhere in the world.  "I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats."  (Then, again - what isn't better than Cats?)

I can only hope the movie lives up to the book. But I doubt it will. As my local bookstore posted:


No comments: