Sunday, December 28, 2014

Best Final Lines from the Movies

With the release of the third Hobbit movie (The Battle of Five Armies), I decided to catch up on the Hobbit movies by viewing the first two movies back to back. I had seen the first movie (An Unexpected Journey) months ago, but hadn't had the opportunity to watch the second movie (The Desolation of Smaug). As I didn't remember the first movie well, I figured I'd have a Hobbit marathon. What an enjoyable way to spend 5 and a half hours!

With the final line of TDoS, Bilbo Baggins gasps: "What have we done?" as Smaug, the dragon, goes soaring off to begin his attack on Lake Town. I thought to myself, "that's a good closing line."

This thought got me thinking about all the great last lines of the movies over the past century or so. There have been so many incredible and indelible last lines, that I decided that it was time to list what I think are the top 10 final lines from a movie. Here's what I came up with (in no particular order):
  • "I do wish we could chat longer...but I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye." Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins), The Silence of the Lambs
  • "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), Casablanca
  • "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd), Back to the Future
  • "I'll go home and I'll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day." Scarlett O'Hara Butler (Vivien Leigh), Gone With the Wind
  • "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that - poof - he's gone." Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey), The Usual Suspects
  • "You see, this is my life. It always will be! There's nothing else - just us - and the cameras - and those wonderful people out there in the dark. All right, Mr. De Mille, I'm ready for my close-up." Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson), Sunset Boulevard
  • "That'll do, pig, That'll do." Arthur Hoggett (James Cromwell), Babe
  • "There have been tyrants and murders and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it. Always." Mahatma Gandhi (Ben Kingsley), Gandhi
  • "Love means never having to say your sorry." Oliver Barrett IV (Ryan O'Neal), Love Story
  • "And oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home." Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland), The Wizard of Oz
Did I miss your favorite final line? Let me know.

7 comments:

Marianne said...

"I am too old for this." Lethal Weapon, Mel Gibson. I know exactly how he felt. LOL!

Paul said...

Great list! "They'll see. They'll see, and they'll know, and they'll say 'Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly.'" Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), Psycho

Paul said...

"Shoot straight, you #@#$ds! Don't make a mess of it!" Lt. Harry Morant (Edward Woodward), Breaker Morant

Paul said...

"I'm finished!" Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day Lewis), There Will Be Blood

Sandi said...

Good ones, Paul and Marianne!!

Paige said...

had fun quizzing Rich on your list - here's one more - The Grandson: Grandpa, maybe you could come over and read it again to me tomorrow.
Grandpa: As you wish.

Sandi said...

Technically that's two lines, but I agree - amazing ending. Love the Princess Bride. ;-)