Monday, December 8, 2014

A Brilliant Second Day in Rome (Day 49 - GToE)

The Roman gods have decided to smile upon me because so far the weather in Rome has been amazing. Sunny and warm with just a bit of a breeze to keep from overheating. Spectacular. Today was also a better day to be visiting the ancient Roman ruins. All of yesterdays crowds went away and I was left with breathable air in which to view the splendors of Rome. When I last visited Rome 8 years ago, I fell in love with this beautiful city. I still feel the same. 

The day started at 9:00am at the Colosseum. Built in 70-80 AD, this amphitheatre was the largest in the Roman Empire and is considered one of the greatest works of Roman architecture. It is estimated that the Colosseum could hold between 50,000 to 80,000 spectators and was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building was severely damaged during an earthquake in 1349 which destroyed the south side. When standing in the stadium, it's an amazing spectacle when you realize that this building was completed with any modern conveniences and was built on the backs of 20,000 Jewish slaves. 

Just west of the Colosseum is the Roman Forum, which  is a rectangular forum (plaza) surrounded by the ruins of several important ancient government buildings at the center of the city of Rome. Some of the nearby ruins are: Temple of Saturn, Temple of Vespasian and Titus, Arch of Septimius Severus, Curia Julia, Rostra, Basilica Aemilia, Forum Main Square, Basilica Iulia, Temple of Caesar, Regia, Temple of Castor and Pollux, Temple of Vesta, Home of the Vestal Virgins, and more. One of my favorite sites is the Temple of Caesar. After Julius Caesar was assassinated (by being stabbed 23 times), his remains were brought to the Forum and were cremated. A few years later, on the site of his cremation the Temple of Caesar was erected. The Temple of Vesta is also an interesting ruin. The Vestal Virgins (who lived next to the Temple of Vesta) were priestesses who were responsible for keeping the sacred fire lit. They were committed to priesthood by the age of 10 and were sworn to celibacy for 30 years. If at the end of their 30 year commitment, they were given a large dowry and were allowed to marry. If any Vestal was guilty of "unchastity", she was strapped to a funeral car, paraded through the streets of the Forum, taken to a crypt, given a loaf of bread and a lamp...and buried alive. Damn! That sucks. 

Looking over the Forum is Palatine Hill, which consists of the ruins of emperors' palaces and is one of the most ancient parts of the city. Archaeologists are still excavating this area and are constantly uncovering new discoveries. In addition to the ruins of the palaces, there is also a stadium. Palatine Hill overlooks the Forum to one side and Circus Maximus (the ancient Roman chariot racing stadium) on the other. 

These were the three places that I explored this morning. It is always interesting walking around these ancient ruins and think about how once upon a time, people in sandals and togas used to gather here on a daily basis. Julius Caesar and Mark Antony once leaned upon these rocks. Incredible.

Not knowing what else to do after visiting the ancient Roman ruins, I headed back toward my hostel where I had a lovely lunch at a nearby restaurant and then went back to my room for a brief respite (aka: nap). Or at least that was the plan. I had planned on perhaps an hour respite, but it turned into an all afternoon respite. Not all of it sleeping - some surfing the web, some reading, some gazing into space. The problem is I didn't know what to do with the afternoon. On Monday, all museums are closed and today being a religious holiday (Dec 8 is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception), I thought perhaps the churches might not have visiting times or that the times would be off. Therefore, I just hung out in my room. It was nice and quiet and relaxing. I'm all for that. Tonight just might be more of the same.

Check out my Day 49 photos on my GToE photo site. Tomorrow, I will visit the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica in the morning. The afternoon is still not planned.

6 comments:

Tom said...

A question that has always been on my mind. Why in all the centuries that have past has no one ever thought of restoring some of these ruins to a usable, workable venue. That's probably a question I asked anywhere there are ruins that are touristy. It seems a waste to me. Also, you really liked that bird, didn't you?

Sandi said...

Hmmm. Dunno. Maybe the cost would be too much? The bird was funny. There was an Asian guy who was feeding the bird bread right from his hand.

Marianne said...

Repurpose an ancient ruin? That is blasphemy Tom Smith. You cannot truly preserve history for future generations by converting the Coliseum into a soccer arena. Shame on you!

Tom said...

I didn't mean now. I meant over the centuries before it became a historical pile of stone. I'd bring back the gladiator fights and feeding Christians to the lions before I'd suggest a soccer stadium.

Marianne said...

I think the rationale behind leaving it intact then was so no one forgot the despicable ways of past emperors thus not to repeat the bad behavior. They just found new, more modern ways to torture the masses, I guess.

Tom said...

Sounds awesome.