Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Missing New York City? Not on Your Life!

It's been nearly 5 months since I've moved from New York City to Massachusetts, but it feels much longer than that. New York City now seems a lifetime ago. I keep getting asked by random people (co-workers, job interviewers, friends, etc.) if I miss NYC and I give them an emphatic "No!" Okay, that's not entirely true. I missed NYC once, when I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours because of flooding. I kept thinking if I were in NYC, I would have been on the subway and not getting a cramp in my leg from the clutch. Otherwise, I don't miss NYC.

Are there things about the City that I miss? Well now, that's a different story. While I don't miss city life, there are a few things that I do miss. For instance, the cherry cream scones from Amy's Bread, the unlimited amount of restaurants and cuisine to choose from and most of all - my friends. But otherwise, not much else. There's so much to do here in Massachusetts that I'm never really bored. The North Shore provides a multitude of cultural events that I could fill every minute of my day if I had the time and money. Plus there is always the local library if all else fails. Reading a good book, priceless. So no, I don't miss the dirt, the endless noise, the crazy cab drivers, the crowds, the filthy subway, the unwashed homeless, the rude people, the rats which are big enough to ride, etc.

I've been equating my time in NYC as being at a really great party too long. You get to a party at 7pm and by 10pm, you've chatted with everyone, had some nibbles and a beverage or two. You think, "this was fun but maybe I should go home now" but you stay. Next thing you know, it's 4am and you're stumbling down the street, barefoot, with traces of vomit down the front of your shirt, and wondering where the heck you left your shoes. (Wow! '80s flashback.) Out of the 17 years of living in Manhattan, 11-12 were fantastic. It's the last 5-6 where living in the City started to get to me. I stayed at the party just a little too long and it has left a terrible impression. Maybe one day I'll enjoy visiting NYC, but I won't ever live there again.

Here's an entertaining article that The Onion posted September 2, 2010: "8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live." Brilliant! Here's a really fun blog from someone who currently lives in NYC: I Hate New York City.

I remember this! <shudder>

No comments: