Thursday, September 11, 2014

Sad to be Leaving the Port...

In a little more than a month, I'll be moving away from the home I've lived in for the past 3+ years, which historically is the average length of time that I stay in any one location. How I got to this town was a fluke. In an attempt to find a new place to live after nearly 20 years of living in that dirty, smelly, rat-infested NYC, I traveled north at the suggestion of a colleague to check out Portsmouth, NH as a possible option for my new home. On my way home, I stopped in Newburyport in order to visit a friend who lived here and fell in love with this quaint old New England town. I was sold!

What do I love about the Port? Where do I start? There's so much to love about this town: an amazing library, a beautiful river walk, many sweet little stores, great restaurants, historic Federalist style buildings, and incredibly friendly people. Yes, there is this weird underbelly heroin problem in this little town, but that doesn't take away from the beauty of this town. Also, I figured that Newburyport would be the closest thing to actually living in a small town in the English countryside, which has always been a dream for me. Really the only things missing from my dream are the British accents! 

But now I have to once again uproot myself from a beloved home. I will be sad to say goodbye to this amazing little town. I will miss the pretty walks, the great restaurants, the library - my home away from home. However, I will NOT miss the insane amount of snow that we get on occasion. Most of all I will miss the incredible friends that I have made here. You see, despite being a Yankee fan and an outsider, I have been accepted by the best people who live here and will miss them terribly while I go traipsing around the world. But I will leave a little piece of my heart here in the Port!

If you have never visited Newburyport, I highly recommend it. 

12 comments:

Lee said...

<3 <3 Thinking of you!

Tom said...

I think I'll come for a visit at the end of the month. What d'ya think? Also, trading Newburyport for Philadelphia is definitely a step down. But the world travel option is an even trade.

Sandi said...

Hmmm...a visit! What a unique idea! Yeah, I thought about adding the whole Philly blows portion of the upcoming changes, but I wanted to keep it positive. But Philly truly blows! :-)

Tom said...

It really does.

Tom said...

But at least it's not Baltimore.

Sandi said...

LOL. Or Detroit or Newark or.... Well there are a ton of worse places than Philly.

Tom said...

Yep. There's a whole Easter Basket of horrible cities.

Marianne said...

El Paso is way worse than Philly. At least you have cheesesteaks and real TastyKakes

Sandi said...

I guess I'll discover that when I come visiting in January. :-)

Bernadette said...

Yeah and when you get to Philly be sure to come here at South Brunswick it's pretty ok here and I will be cooking dinner for you, Tom and his Lady friend. :-)

Christy said...

I will miss having you in the Port friend. Xo

Unknown said...

We will miss you too Sandi! You'll always be in my heart (and on the PMC banners flying above Provincetown!)